How much salt to add if using Cure #1?

Well all this talk about bacon, sausage and cures means I'm gonna have to significantly increase my plan for how much I'm gonna smoke over Christmas break!

Fortunately I have a good scale that I've normally used for weighing out coffee beans for my Chemex that will work perfectly for weighing out these cures as well. Just the whole thought process of mixing spices based on weight vs. Tbs, Tsps and cups has been a real eye-opener for me as I've done an awful job of mixing up my own rubs in the past.

Are you going into the city to get Bellies? I recommend Grant Park Packing. It is THE place to go for all things pork. 2 bucks and change a pound for huge bellies. Ask one of the guys in the white coats for the THICK ones, and they'll head to the back to find you some winners.

All good stuff. I would begin with manufacturer's recommendation on the cures. Personally, I no longer use Morton's TQ unless I am doing something with a longer dry time. Don't really need the Sodium Nitrate for bacon, Pancetta or something that is going to be cooked

Back