Weber Smokey Mountain 22.5

Carolina Don

Reaction score
Think about buying one. Currently cooking on a Bubba Keg, but want to increase capacity. Opinions?

I have the 18.5 wsm and love it. I'm not familiar with bubba keg so i can't compare the two. But on mine i wish i had more room. The wsm is very efficiant and easy. I dont cook for many people so the 18.5 is good enough for me for now but more room would be nicer to cook extra food for leftover lunch.

WSM are great smokers. What I cut my teeth on a couple years ago. Eventually I just wanted more room, so I bought a cabinet.

I've been thinking about getting a 22 WSM as well. Kinda torn between one of those and a 26 Weber Kettle. Both are about the same price, and will fit a brisky nicely.

We have used a single WSM 22.5 to cook full competitions. I have cooked 8 pork butts at one time. You can cook hot and fast or low and slow on them. I have even cold smoked cheese on it. Once you dial in the temp it will run unattended all night. I highly recommend them . Keith

The only thing kamados have on wsms is winter cooking. Other than that the WSM is just as easy to operate. Its a decent cooker. I like the 14.5" myself but the 22.5" isn't bad once you get it gunked up and get it to seal up all the leaks. It seems to shut down better once it is all gunked up. So get some big meats on that cooker and get it all gunked up.

I have an 18 wsm and am a huge fan. Really versatile, easy to use. Can use it with a water pan, without, run it hot or low. And they can fit a lot of food, 2-3 butts in each rack, a decent size brisket, with the weber hanging rack you can hand 6 full racks of ribs pretty easily, 3-4 split chickens and I'm just talking about the 18. I can't think of any real issues that hold it back.

Not sure what winter weather is like in SC, but if it gets cold, go to your big box home improvement store and get a roll of Reflectix insulated material and some aluminum tape. Cut a piece that will make a ring 4 to 8 inches bigger than the WSM and use the tape to close the ring. When it gets cold, fire her up and set the ring around her. She'll be insulated enough to cook with.

I just picked up a 22 WSM yesterday. Been wanting one for quite some time. Haven't fired it up yet (snow all weekend here in the Denver area)..but may have to at least get it hot today.

I say go for it!

Times have changed - all the way to page 2 and nobody's said "build a UDS" yet! :shocked:

I have both and love both btw. WSM is a great choice. There's lot's of info on the Virtual Weber Bullet forum that's really helpful just like here, but it's focused on WSM's exclusively.

I have a 22.5 WSM as my only dedicated smoker (although I occasionally cook on a cinder block pit at a friend's place). I love it and am even considering getting an 18.5 as well for extra capacity and the ability to travel easier.

I love WSM's and would recommend them to anyone.

If you're planning to do ribs for a crowd or smoke bacon, the hanging kit is worth the $$

Back