??? About cooking Wagu beef

Hoss

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I think I have a good idea but would like some feedback from someone who has cooked Wagu beef before.I think it will cook quicker than regular choice meat that I buy at Kroger.We are talking steaks.4 fillets and 2 ribeyes.It is SRF Gold grade Wagu.I normally take the family out to a very upper end prime steakhouse every year to celebrate everyone’s birthday.Well C-19 put an end to that this year.I will host the dinner at home instead.I know the sides will not compare as I am not going to attempt to fry calimari and tenderloin tidbits and make escargot but I will have mushrooms,creamed spinach and such.It will not be the same but hopefully still a good meal and time spent together.I certainly do want to ruin this meat by overcooking.Thanks for any tips.

Many ways to do it. I don’t usually smoke it as I like to keep it simple with high end cuts like those. You can either sear it for 2 mins on each side then move to indirect heat and cook until med-rare (125) or reverse sear it where you start over indirect heat until it hits 115 and then sear over direct heat for a few mins on each side until it hits 125.

While I have never cooked Wagyu steaks before, I have cooked a lot of prime steaks and do not see an appreciable difference in cooking time. My method is two minutes per side over the fully lit coals in the 26" Weber. After the second flip, I start probing for temp with the trusty red Thermapen, searching for the desired doneness that each person desires. Wife prefers rare, both of our son's and I prefer rare to medium rare, DIL and MIL well done:shock::oops::cry:. My wife doesn't like the results of a reverse sear, as she prefers the greater maillard reaction, so I do not practice that method anymore. Used to have a lot of success reverse searing using either the Vortex or Slow-N-Sear. But wife could tell the difference and requested that I go back to the conventional method.

Based on my experience, with properly prepared coals, undivided attention and armed with a Thermapen, it is really hard to mess up steaks.

Good luck with you celebration.

Robert

For a nice appetizer take some of the steak, slice thin, and blast quickly. Little salt and you’re good to go! Gets people excited for the main event.

SRF is American wagyu, and it cooks the same as prime. I season a little more than normal, smoke at 250°F until 125°F IT, then sear off (don't forget to sear the edges). I've recently started doing sous vide with final sear over lump on a M-Grills C4-SCA.

Lightly season S&P or maybe SPOGOS. I like ground porcini mushroom. What ever your choice of seasoning, go light so the flavor of the meat comes through.

I prefer hot and fast direct over all white coals with maybe a wood chunk. Don't fear the flame but don't walk away. If it is a thin cut, it will cook fast.

Sear once on each size checking internal temp for your liking. I prefer a nice crust and rare center but cook to just before your liking and rest under a foil tent for 5 minutes. You can add butter during the rest if you like and it will kick it up a notch.

Good luck

I like J's idea for a sampler!

I appreciate the replies all.I think I will go with the Weber 26,orange Thermapen and might even toss a CI griddle over the coals to get that good even sear.I like the idea of the teaser taste too.Thanks again for your replies.At least I have sense enough to know that I can toss one back on the grill for a bit if it needs more but I cannot uncook anything! Ha!

Back