I just received my 4th batch of pellets and in my 2* this is what I've found:

Bear Mountain (Hickory)
Smoke: Moderate
Aroma while burning: Moderate
Flavor on food: A bit more than slight
Firepot/Flameouts: 1 - likely due to unclean firepot

Lumberjack (100% Hickory)
Smoke: Heavy
Aroma while burning: Heavy (dare I say like a stickburner)
Flavor on food: So far the best flavor from pellets I've tasted
Firepot/Flameouts: Yes (3). If the pot wasn't clean it'd flameout. If you changed the temp from low and slow to a more moderate heat it'd flame out.

CookinPellets (Perfect Mix)
Smoke: Wispy
Aroma while burning: light at best
Firepot: Bulletproof never bothered to clean it
Flavor on food: Blink and you'll miss it
Firepot/Flameouts: 0. Never bothered to clean the firepot.
Also: Seemed to take longer to reach temps, didn't like going 375+

Lumberjack (Comp Blend): TBD

Finishing up the last of the CookinPellets with a ~8lb boneless shoulder that I injected with some Dijon, cayenne, yardbird, apple cider vinegar and apple cider.
i-Fh2kDBR-L.jpg

I've searched and couldn't find the answer, so sorry if this is a repeat!

I have the front shelf and it's too small. You can't set anything on it when the lid is closed due to the handle. So I find myself setting stuff on the hopper and smoke box of my 2* and then moving to the front shelf when open. This is kinda of a PITA.

Does anyone know why MAK makes this shelf only 8"? Seems like even 10" would make it much more functional and preferably 12".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I've searched and couldn't find the answer, so sorry if this is a repeat!

I have the front shelf and it's too small. You can't set anything on it when the lid is closed due to the handle. So I find myself setting stuff on the hopper and smoke box of my 2* and then moving to the front shelf when open. This is kinda of a PITA.

Does anyone know why MAK makes this shelf only 8"? Seems like even 10" would make it much more functional and preferably 12".

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Bob (owner of MAK Grills) has always said the shelf is to give you a place to rest a tray to get food on and off the grill. So my best guess is that it's not really intended to be used when the lid is closed. I don’t have the front shelf, but most guys that do really seem to like it.

I don’t have an answer Todd, and while I don’t disagree with you I wouldn’t be without the front shelf...

I don’t have an answer Todd, and while I don’t disagree with you I wouldn’t be without the front shelf...

Same here. I'd buy it again for sure. I only use it for taking food on and off as Robb mentioned above. But I find myself having to set the plate/tray on the side, open the grill, then move it to the front shelf when putting food on. My days of working in restaurants and carrying trays full of food with one hand are a long distant memory.... Don't want to dump my nice ribs on the patio!

I don't have a MAK but looked at their shelf offering... too bad it's not hinged. Best thing I ever did to a shelf in front of the lid was to attach a cutting board to it. Granted, I have a long shelf and it's hinged but surely someone could figure out a way to "hook" an extension on that's removable for storage....

My shelf extension...........

hKlet7.jpg

It's been quite some time since I've posted in here. I've still been cooking a ton, but just haven't had much time to get anything posted. I loaded up the MAK overnight with a bunch of pork shoulder and a brisket. As always, the MAK came through.

c36c9a6693828154b0764b5b80b11b78.jpg

cf334adeb57d8716989f70fbf3351a69.jpg

a59836f577c8b5ff9e89848363923ddf.jpg

3c48052717ae4e76cfcea636f7f01345.jpg

914f7bc599e1566a574c81c5418557ff.jpg

894291ac88f93b8ca024e76f62111a92.jpg

86ad68da2a7d625178257f83ce4b0643.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks awesome! I’m with ya. I’m not a big poster either. Anyways. Hope everybody had a nice Christmas & has a safe and Happy New Year!!!

AWESOME colors, on an awesome cook!

Edit: had flameout caused by auger not turning. In process of diagnosing! :)

Last edited:
Quick question, did you by chance just change out yer pellets to another brand or wood type using the trap door?

The reason I ask is I’ve had two flameouts after switching pellets.

Edit: had flameout caused by auger not turning. In process of diagnosing! :)
Only reason it should stop is if it sensed the hopper door open. Interested in what you find out.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Just a reminder that this thread exists. With the group buy I would think we will have a lot of folks wanting to post to this thread. Very excited to be receiving my 1 Star General in the next few weeks!

I haven't read through the whole thread but I'm seeing a lot of posts where briskets and pork butts can take 15 plus hours. I'm used to cooking those in eight hours or less on the pit barrel cooker. Is there any way to speed up the brisket and pork butt cooks on the Mak grill without sacrificing flavor? Thanks very much!

Just a reminder that this thread exists. With the group buy I would think we will have a lot of folks wanting to post to this thread. Very excited to be receiving my 1 Star General in the next few weeks!

Yeah, I’m slowly working my way through it in preparation of receiving my new MAK.

Also installed Tapatalk on my iPad to see how that goes. Considerably different appearance.

Edit: Quick experiment. Can I post a picture from Tapatalk?
f7d0faf2665daa17dbe70c9fc0c74115.jpg

Yesterday’s PP on the BGE

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back