Thoughts on Bradley??

greenmountainsmoke

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok, so I am WAY down the rabbit hole now in search for an electric vertical smoker. What are your thoughts on the Bradley original smoker? Good deal on Amazon right now (save almost $190). Thanks in advance!

I had/have a Bradley original that I used for 8 years...left it outside 24/7, sometimes covered with an old grill cover, sometimes not. It worked well for me and produced some good BBQ. It literally is set it and forget it.

With 2 young girls, I loved the fact that I could load it up and walk away...do overnight cooks, etc.

I have moved on just recently (about a month ago) to an insulated cabinet smoker and love it. It too is set and forget it....without any guru or anything.

I have come to find that I can't get the new smoker under 200 so I'll keep my bradley for beef jerky and bacon.

The bradley 6 rack was my first smoker. I had a love hate relationship with it. in my opinion it's probably a good cold smoker, or even better jerky maker, however at the end of the day it doesn't really produce like a egg, cabinet, or offset.

I personally thought the smoke flavor was a bit off, and mine would barely do 225*

that combined with wind sucking the heat out, burnt up elements, and mods i had to do to make it reliable, it wasn't my favorite at the end. I gave it to my FIL.

Now, i'm not knocking electric smokers, and often wish i either had it back, or had a different brand. My BIL had one that was one heck of a cooker.

Seriously though, don't let this sway you, i know they are respected cookers, and people really do love them.

I don't know much about Bradley smokers other than, when I was researching electric smokers and was going to buy one, I found the Smokin-it line. And I went that route.

Junk....have one and it's only used for jerky and cold smoking sausage and cheese now. Same reasons as mentioned by thirtydaZe

A friend had one, only made ribs, but he liked them, and he enjoyed the handsfree aspect, but the Winter in CT ate the thing up in 3 years.

I had a Bradley at one time, it was a learning experience and although it wasn't the best it would get small cooks done over a longer period of time. With a rack of ribs or a small pork butt, it was ok, but if I loaded the smoker with ribs or a couple large pork butts it would struggle to keep even low temperatures, but would take forever to get the job done. The smoke flavor was also light when compared to other smokers.

I have to agree with the others, it is probably better suited for making jerky or even cold smoking then as a cooker.

The biggest draw back for me were the way over-priced hockey pucks of pressed wood needed for smoking. I would advise you to do some research and compare the other units available to you before making your choice. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you get a lot less than what you paid for, do your research.

I would advise you to do some research and compare the other units available to you before making your choice.

Yeah, I am knee deep in the process. Need to keep my cost relatively low while still getting a reliable product. Don't even get me started re UDS, cause that thought keeps crawling into my head :roll:

I've had one for a long time now. It still works but it's been retired to a warmer oven most of the time. I really don't have any regrets buying it and it has been used a lot. I will say Bradley's customer service is top notch.

For the price listed on Amazon, my opinion would be to throw a few more bucks in and get the Pit Barrel Cooker. Either that or a UDS would be in the same price range and give you a better smoke flavor.

BTW, don't forget to add in the price of the "biscuits" when comparing operating cost of the electric versus drum type smokers.

Forget the Bradley and get the best affordable smoker available a Weber Smokey Mountain and don't look back.

I looked at Bradley for electric but ended up going with a smokin-it #3 instead. Love it when I want set it and forget it results. Still use the WSM and kamados for most cooks tho.

I just purchased a 40" Masterbuilt smoker from Sam's for ~$280. I originally purchased it for making sausage, but used it for some ribs this weekend and they were amazing. Also, I highly recommend the A-MAZE-N pellet tray.

Forget the Bradley and get the best affordable smoker available a Weber Smokey Mountain and don't look back.

I'd second this comment. My neighbour has a Bradley and not super happy with it. I did a lot of research and ended up with a Broil King Smoke Vertical Charcoal Smoker and am very happy with it, but the WSM is also an awesome unit to cook with.

Fuel is easy to come by as are the variety of smoke woods and you can tweak them to work just as you want.

I just purchased a 40" Masterbuilt smoker from Sam's for ~$280. I originally purchased it for making sausage, but used it for some ribs this weekend and they were amazing. Also, I highly recommend the A-MAZE-N pellet tray.

I have this unit, and it is solely dedicated to sausage, bacon, and cheese. I also use the A-MAZE-N tray as well instead of the piece of crap chip tray. I decided against the Bradley because everything I read online talked about the pucks jamming and those things are priced like they are made of gold.

If this is your general smoking unit and not dedicated to sausage, etc., I would strongly consider the WSM. Great flexible cooker.

hmmm... there's something "off" here.

ah... let me fix it

Forget the Bradley and build the best affordable smoker available a UDS and don't look back. :mrgreen: I kid, I kid- sorry.

My across the street neighbor has one of the Masterbuilt electrics (with the glass door insert) - not sure of the model and he loves it. I'd take a pass on the Bradley unless the pro's offered offset the negatives offered.

The biggest draw back for me were the way over-priced hockey pucks of pressed wood needed for smoking. I would advise you to do some research and compare the other units available to you before making your choice. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you get a lot less than what you paid for, do your research.

Bingo!

Back