Smoked Chuckie Steak Nuggets

jwtseng

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
There is this "Chuckie Challenge" TD going on and I had all but decided to pass on this one. I've never really been a big fan of pulled beef or pot roast, so I thought I'd leave it up to the pepper stout beef folks to duke it out in the TD. But I've always liked flat-iron steak, and I think recently there have been a lot of online blog posts and videos showing you how to butterfly the cheap flat iron cut of meat. And I believe that the flat iron steak comes from the chuck subprimal, so I'm throwing my hat into the ring here...

There's always lots of these beautiful top blade steaks in the meat case at Safeway...they look like little flat-irons, don't they???

o2vm8jul.jpg

Now I know there's a big string of gristle in there, but I'll deal with that later. First, a little Meatchurch Holy Cow...

hwsvgeml.jpg

We were having a nice catered party in the backyard this weekend, so all my big ugly BBQ toys were relegated to the side yard. Didn't stop me though...light up a few sticks and I was in business...

EGOuf3El.jpg

After a couple hours in the smoke, the flat iron steaks came out and looked gooooood!

2LYRXrbl.jpg

Good enough to eat, but hold on...we're not done yet! Still have that line of gristle in the middle to deal with...Cubed up all the steaks and ended up with a pile of gristle-free morsels of goodness!

6OnBYrhl.jpg

Quick dusting of flour...

YlLYRD1l.jpg

Dipped in egg wash and dredged in seasoned flour (lots of dill, black and white pepper, red chili flakes, garlic powder, and a little Maker's Mark)...

BfeHghdl.jpg

Quick swim in the 350F...

YTO2KYll.jpg

Topped with parmesan and dill and red chili flakes with a side of Ranch dressing...

9iP5AIIl.jpg

So I might not be a big fan of Pepper Stout Beef, but these Smoked Chuckie Steak Nuggets are a little bit irresistible!

mxqdM30l.jpg

We're all pretty used to deep-fried fish, chicken, and pork, but you just don't see deep-fried beef too much. I'd say, give it a try!

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Whoa! Those looks great (and if you want to get me drunk like you do your steak bits...)!

I usually don't dig all the fried stuff... but, man... those are just pretty.

They do look good and I have never had deep fried Beef before

Something I have to try... looks great!

Thanks Y'all! It was an interesting and fun cook. I was hesitant to buy the steaks initially because of all the negative things I read on the internet about the whole gristle line and everything. But aside from that the meat was supposed to be great, and the supermarket wouldn't keep offering them for sale if they were so terrible to eat, right? So inexpensive, too!

And they were great! The dill complemented the fried beef nicely...offering a nice herbaceous flavor contrasting the richness of the beef and batter.

Really nice job, I would most definitely be all over those... Folks from Tucson know about Lucky Wishbone Chicken and one of their specialties is steak fingers and your creation reminded me of those... Thanks for sharing and entering the throw down.

Interesting. I really like chinese orange beef, which is deep fried pieces of beef in an orange sauce. Deep fried beef is just good... so is anything deep fried I guess

Wow! looks good. I would of never ever thought of that. Will have to give it a try. Thanks for the details.

Nicely done James!! Love the out of the box techniques. :thumb:

I said I had never had deep fried beef further up,but I have,just remembered.
Smoked then Deep fried breaded ribs in Indonesia.
They tasted awesome, I bet the Chuck would carry that as well

Back