Brisket vending

Obiguns

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
A event im vending doesn't allow me to set up the night before because they have to shut down the street. Therefore I have to start everything when I get there at 6 am. So meats go on about 7-7:30. I have already figured I would get a cpl of boneless butts and cut them in half to have ready to eat by 12-1. I will probably be using Costco prime Brisket. My question is could I half cook it before hand and cool it and then bring it up to desired temp and tenderness or would it be better to split the flat from the point. I like to keep my pit around 300.

My 10 pound brisket went at 280-310 and hit 203 at 9 hours... Not sure if cutting it will save you 3 hours. Can you cook before and keep them in Cambros or something?

I've never done what you are saying but I don't know if it will save you much time. Why don't you cook them at your site and hot hold them in a hot box and transport to the event?

hijack

I've never done what you are saying but I don't know if it will save you much time. Why don't you cook them at your site and hot hold them in a hot box and transport to the event?

How long can you hold brisket in a hot box and what hot box would you recommend?

/hijack

You can hold it as long as you want...as long as the temp doesn't fall below 135. Once you reach that point you have 4 hours before you have to toss it or reheat it...if you choose to reheat in the 4 hour window, it has to be brought up to 165.

I think your thought process of half cooking, cooling, then continue cooking sounds like it wood really screw up the meat fibers, quality, and texture. I would hate for you to ruin good prime briskets. My topic got moved but i am wondering if a bbq guru or similar temp controller would be a good idea to allow you to maintain the temp for an overnight cook.

Half cooking, cooling and then finishing on site seems to open you up for issues. How are you cooling them? Will they cool down fast enough (if you're cooking them whole without a freezer or blast chiller, highly doubtful)? How long will it take to reheat and finish? You might as well precook them all the way and reheat on site if you go that route. Without knowing your setup, either cook that morning, and hold them hot. Cambros are usually rated for about 6hrs, I believe, if you have mechanical holding you can go all day. Or perhaps you start them in the morning, wrap and hold them hot until you get on site and setup then finish on site. Cant really cook while driving down the highway...

Reheating

I know some on here look down at it but I've cooked my brisket and pork shoulder to temp and cooled it properly many of times and it turned out good. I just reheat it properly and save some of the natural juices from the original cook. I've done this hundred of times and never had complaints. Good luck

Back