Any horizon smoker users out there?

I find them overpriced. I don't like 16" smokers and their 20" are a lil high priced.
Decent smokers in 20"' and up.

Most guys think they will use the warmer and then don't or build a charcoal fire in the bottom to use as a vertical. That one doesn't have much access to the bottom of vertical section to do that. I don't think I would use the vertical section so I wouldn't pay the extra for it -- but maybe you would.? Temps will be low on the vertical - you can't cook in main and vertical cuz main would be too Hot or Vertical too low temp.

I have Vertical Smokers but have had Horizontal but never one with both.
I'd rather have a Larger horizontal or Larger Vertical myself. The main chamber on that one is not real big - about size of a Longhorn or Pecos. If you cook multi meats that finish at different times they can go into vertical while other meat still cooking. Good for holding side dishes too but it doesn't add to cooking capacity as the temps in vertical will be 100-150* Lower than main.

I was interested in it because I want to try making jerky. And other low temp stuff.
I see your point though about access to the bottom

I have Vertical Smokers but have had Horizontal but never one with both.
I'd rather have a Larger horizontal or Larger Vertical myself. The main chamber on that one is not real big - about size of a Longhorn or Pecos. If you cook multi meats that finish at different times they can go into vertical while other meat still cooking. Good for holding side dishes too but it doesn't add to cooking capacity as the temps in vertical will be 100-150* Lower than main.

That sounds exactly like what I'm wanting. Thanks

You could get an Old Country Smokehouse for $699 and have plenty of cooking room and when you wanna do Jerky or cold smoke - run small charcoal fire for Jerky etc or put an Amazen Pellet Tube in it or both.

Has hanging rods in top even.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220797

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00CS6YFIC/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477264020&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=amazen+pellet+tube&dpPl=1&dpID=41rrkDzdJ%2BL&ref=plSrch[/ame]

I have a buddy here in OKC that has 30" from them. Build quality is great, and the food that comes off of it is even better. But then again, he produces great product on everything he cooks on.

Purely because they are local to me, it would be on my list if I were going to buy a stick burner.

I have fallen in love with an all wood fire charcoal and I split the sheets. I never liked the idea of using a pellet smoker. I'm sure they are great though

I have fallen in love with an all wood fire charcoal and I split the sheets. I never liked the idea of using a pellet smoker. I'm sure they are great though

For cold smoking. Just a tube filled with pellets - smoke but no real heat.

If you wanted to do Jerky or etc while cooking a butt or brisket then that Ranger may be for you. I don't do Jerky/ Cold Smoke and the guys I've seen do it seperate than reg cooks.

We have a Horizon Marshal 20" RD Special. It is very well made, cooks great, and the heat management plate is a particularly nice feature.

If there is any regret at all, it is that perhaps a larger model would have been desirable. I don't think we really need larger but, you know how it is.........

We have a Horizon Marshal 20" RD Special. It is very well made, cooks great, and the heat management plate is a particularly nice feature.

If there is any regret at all, it is that perhaps a larger model would have been desirable. I don't think we really need larger but, you know how it is.........

Oh yeah.

Back