Eye of round steaks good or bad?

Somedayrockstar

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
The wife picked up a bunch of choice eye of round steaks. I was in a hurry but I wanted one tonight and I wanted to try doing something different so I tried just doing it in a cast iron skillet. It was excellent tasting but a tad chewy. Is this just the cut or my technique for tonight I have more so I want to do the rest the best way possible. Is this a good choice of meat?

One of my favorite cuts personally. It is definitely chewy but it's a great option for an everyday kind of meal. Cheap, great taste, and the leanest cut of beef you can buy.

I like to cook it sous vide (I do grill it sometimes) but don't ever expect to be cutting it with a fork. Personally I don't mind it having a little fight in it!

I don't mind a little chew and it tasted killer. Just didn't really know what to expect with that cut. I still need to try sous vide. Need to figure out which one to get and things still. Looks like a great way to cook though. Thanks for the input.

The other thing I was wondering about was which way the grain was wondering but I think I was cut in such a fashion I couldn't cut it against the grain anyways.

If it was still round after you cut it (which it looks to be), then you cut against the grain. If you aren't cutting eye of round super thin, it's going to be a little tough. Many people use it for jerky, and that's about it. If you want an eye of round steak, it appears that you did it about as well as it can be done. Nice sear, and pretty rare. Much more, and it would become very leather like.

Other things you could consider if you aren't sure you want more steak would be French dip, Italian beef, deli style roast beef. That way you can cook rare and slice thin, which will give it the mouth feel of being a little more tender than it actually is.

Hit it with a Jaccard and you will love it even more.

I also really like cooking he whole roast and slicing it thin for roast beef sandwiches!

I grew up on round steak, mom pounded it out and dredged in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and fried in bacon grease and lard in an oversized cast iron skillet, then she poured off the grease and made gravy. The leftovers were put on hamburger buns for school lunch the next day.

I grew up on round steak, mom pounded it out and dredged in flour seasoned with salt and pepper and fried in bacon grease and lard in an oversized cast iron skillet, then she poured off the grease and made gravy. The leftovers were put on hamburger buns for school lunch the next day.
Hey thanks for the nostalgia...

I've never found a cut of beef I didn't like. Some cuts are tougher then other but if cooked right the flavor lasts longer. Lol. Pic looks good to me.

The round is such a lean piece of beef that i usually cut it thin, beat the crap out of it and turn it into thin cutlets. Kinda hard to take that lean roast and make it tender any other way.

I really don't care for it much as a "steak" per se, But I love to use it as 1Moreford and BillN mentioned. It is fantastic for chicken fried steak and Swiss steak. You can pound it out or run it through a cuber if you have one. As mentioned too, if you cook the whole roast to a med-med rare and slice it thin, it makes pretty good sammies and or french dips.

KC

Back