Query - Brisket Versus Chuck

Pitmaster T

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Remember my target is smoked meat tacos (that can double as a sliced or chopped bbq stand).

Now you know I can do a brisket, and buried in here somewhere is a thread about whole clod, which I do at approaching 30 pounds, high heat, long rest BUT with parts sliced rare (I call that poor man's prime rib) while others have more access to the cut versions of about 3-5 pounds a piece.

I was at Sams and talked to "the guy" and he did say they have whole chucks and can sell them at a reduced rice (still ABOVE $4).

So I hear all the time "chucks are cheaper." I remember them being cheaper. Not these days. Not here. Brisket, untrimmed is often on sale under $2. At times I catch sale on Choice; which of course, Select is not really going to matter when you are using it for tacos (i cook them in three segments by the way). Heck, trimmed choice at HEB is around a prohibitive $3.87 - I don't compete and will put my process against 90 percent of competition brisket using select.

So, I am imagining chuck has less shrinkage. Of course am I right in thinking the fat you don't cut off in brisket lends more flavor?

What are your thoughts. For a brief time I thought of smoking Chucks for the bulk and Brisket for flavor but that ended when i decided to chop in front of the customer.

please offer all ideas and comment, even the obvious.

Chucks in ALL forms

I use chuck, but that is primarily because of the cost: brisket is about 2x more expensive here, but I haven't done this in a while and that may have changed. I think it is easier to get a decent finished product with chuck and I prefer the flavor (and texture) for tacos, etc. But if brisket is half the price of chuck, I'd probably use brisket instead. When I'm doing this, we do a large percentage carne seca, which I prefer for enchiladas.

You can't sell a "brisket" taco at a premium as opposed to a "shredded/chopped beef" taco in your neck of the woods?

Folks here in north Florida would pay that premium for the word brisket being in the selection.

Personally were I cooking tacos I'd go for chuck. More forgiving, more intramuscular fat, easier to achieve the right texture (not as narrow a window internal temp wise as brisket).

I'd also think if you are cooking in significant bulk that you could get a great case price at the likes of Restaurant Depot etc.

I prefer chuck and think it has better flavor, but have no doubt you can work your meatvoodoomagic on any grade of brisket and get great results.

When I'm doing bulk chuck and need to make it move along, I smoke for about 4 hours, rough chop it into a pan with beef stock and beer, then braise covered until almost fall apart. Then cool in the pans in the frig until the fat and collagen sets up (I don't defat the goodies at all) so I can vacseal in 5# packs without blowing my seals. Then I'm able to pull a bag from the freezer and reheat in the bag in simmering water in about 30 minutes with no fuss. I imagine this process lends itself well to food service too, but the prepping presentation isn't as glorious as pulling a brisket from a smoker and chopping it in front of the customer for wow factor. Plus, I'm sure the word "brisket" has a marketing factor for most people.

You can't sell a "brisket" taco at a premium as opposed to a "shredded/chopped beef" taco in your neck of the woods?

Folks here in north Florida would pay that premium for the word brisket being in the selection.

Personally were I cooking tacos I'd go for chuck. More forgiving, more intramuscular fat, easier to achieve the right texture (not as narrow a window internal temp wise as brisket).

I'd also think if you are cooking in significant bulk that you could get a great case price at the likes of Restaurant Depot etc.

I agree with all of the above, especially the marketing aspect of "brisket taco." Fark, even if it tastes like chit, hipsters would be happy to pay a premium for it, especially if it came with a free selfie. :thumb:

Most of the packers I've seen over the last several years may have more fat than you'd want without some severe trimming. I'm talking about cutting enough away so that you don't have a raging grease fire, not a competition trim. All those trimmings would take a bite out of your margin. If you could get a good case price on points you might have something.

Chucks are always more expensive around my area. Briskets were a rare duck until 2 years ago when i single handedly convinced all the area butchers to start carrying them.

I think the cheap cost claim is overall cost not by pound. I can buy a small chuck roast for $10-15. There is no $15 packer here. And then all these trimmed flats i see. Ive seen $9 lbs. I love brisket but who buys brisket that cost as much as steak.

I say brisket is the way to go. Cant some of that fat be used in the proccess? Chuck seems more traditional to me and if i remember correct you were trying to avoid stepping to far into traditional.

Chucks are more - usually $5.99 a lb but I'll get them when Kroger puts them on Green Meat Special at $1.99/lb.

You do realizing I am intentionally over cooking the briskoid. LOL

Donnie, get a chuckroll. Nuff sed. You will get way more yield. Rolls come in various sizes. I haven't priced em per pound at SAMs in a while, but by the time you buy one roll and then however many briskets to give you the same yield after trimming off all that damn, fat.....just a better choice.
Personally, I prefer the flavor too.

Many chuckroll threads in here.

Bob

Donnie, get a chuckroll. Nuff sed. You will get way more yield. Rolls come in various sizes. I haven't priced em per pound at SAMs in a while, but by the time you buy one roll and then however many briskets to give you the same yield after trimming off all that damn, fat.....just a better choice.
Personally, I prefer the flavor too.

Many chuckroll threads in here.

Bob

I believe this thread may be over. A moderator of some renown whose namesake includes the word "brisket" has said to go "chuck". Nothing to see here. Move along.

I believe this thread may be over. A moderator of some renown whose namesake includes the word "brisket" has said to go "chuck". Nothing to see here. Move along.

and call it brisket

So chuck at $4.50 a pound will yield me more than TWICE a brisket at $1.98?

Remember I portion out into megan fox boob sized chunks BEFORE I smoke.

Lol. I should change it to Bob Chuck Roll. Over the last many years, I have become less and less impressed with the brisket packers I find out there. That has nothing to do with the the higher priced prime stuff you can buy. I've never tried those.
For the large scale cooks I've done, I can't beat chuck roll. It has way less to no exterior, hard fat. Any fat it does have is internal marbeling. Also, a lot easier to cook one large roll vs 2+ packers to get the same amount of yield.
Now, that said, you are vending, so I can see where price is a more crucial issue. I guess with the amount of fat that I see on packers today, I'd pay a little more for less of the fat and hassle. The Chuck roll can be portioned into smaller pieces also before smoking. Matter of fact, that is recommend as they can be huge. How are the packers you normally get? Loaded with heavy cap or not?

How many briskets do you cook for a typical vending event?

Bob Chuck Roll

imma go da roll on da next one

article-2337807-1A352AB1000005DC-855_306x423.jpg

this is an actual woman... according to her rap sheet

and call it brisket

So chuck at $4.50 a pound will yield me more than TWICE a brisket at $1.98?

Remember I portion out into megan fox boob sized chunks BEFORE I smoke.

These days, with the trim on a packer straight out of the cryo, I'd guess I'll trim off 1/3rd if I'm taking All of the external fat off. I started using briskets to make carne guisada instead of chuck at some point. I needed 10 lbs of meat and a 15 lb brisket usually yields almost 10 lbs exactly.

You, being you, I suspect you could come up with something to use the tallow for if you wanted to render all of those trimmings. Maybe a larding needle or something.

Back