Turning a 18.5" OTS into a "WSM"?

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
My SIL called me last weekend and was at a garage sale where there was a brand new, still in the taped and unopened box 18.5" OTS. She said she figured I'd want it and called to check. They were asking $30 and she got them down to $25 and snagged it for me.

Now, my dilema is (if you can call it one) that I already have two 22.5" kettles and really don't need another grill. Thought maybe I'd transform this thing into a WSM style smoker. Way I'm looking at it is all I'd need is a firebasket, brinkmann water bowl, and a barrel section and additional grate. Sound about right?

I'm assuming this has been done before?:rolleyes:

Good luck. You'll have to make the barrel section. Also check the box my coworker once went to Canada and bought a brick that was supposed to be a video recorder. Dumb azz.

I've already got a piece of pretty heavy SS that is the bottom of a 55 gallon drum that I thought I could use. Right now, it's about 22.5" diameter so I could just cut prt of it out and shorten the diameter for the barrel.

I think you have all you need listed. On the center section you can even cut the door opening and get a door from weber if you like. For that matter I bet you could order the grate supports straps from them also. They just bolt into a WSM and the straps not only hold the upper and lower grate but also the water pan. Free shipping this month from what I understand from Weber to boot. If you call them, ask for the free shipping, its worked for me twice this month.

You may also want to shorted the legs as it will get pretty tall if you dont.

Good luck and keep us posted with PICS on the transformation.

"I don't need another grill" ????? Who are you and what's wrong with you. Keep the grill and.......

Wait for it.....

Build a UDS

Bwahahhahahaha

How true....I know where there is a 18" Silver for $8!!!! Its about an hour and a half drive and its taking everything in my being not to call them for the address and make a run! :crazy:

Oh, and just to make sure this wasn't a brick (you got me worried Skidder:heh:) I checked.

And sure enough, it magically went from.....
IMG_2778.jpg

To......
IMG_2779.jpg

My 4YO daughter wandered into the kitchen and said......"DADDY!! You got ANOTHER grill?"

:rolleyes::roll::shock: She certainly is her mother's daughter.....:becky:

OH.....there was a shipping slip just under the lid. This thing was shipped in May of 2004!!!! A 7 year old brand new toy!!! YIPEEE!!!

Just tell your daugher, "No, I got YOU a grill." :)

My kids each own a grill - they just let me use it until they move out :)

Look for a 30 gallon drum, and make a mini UDS using the grates and lid.

Keep an eye out for used boiling pots. They come in lots of different diameter. You might just find one that is perfect.

Score! Are you going to shorten the legs and make them, um, "stable"?:-D

do it... i think it would be cool, plus then you could justify that its a smoker AND a grill...

You can try useing an old stock pot with the bottom cut out,that way you already have handles mounted on it.I just wouldn't cut out the whole bottom but real close to the wall,you don't want to knock it out of round.I think also the people at Cajun Bandit make a conversion section for just what you want to do. Here's a link to thier site http://candcgrillinco.com/. I've seen the home made conversion from the stock pot before,just can't remember on which forum maybe here http://www.barbecuebible.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=21011&highlight=mini+wsm. It's for the smokey joe, but I think if you're lucky you can find a larger pot. Also I think maybe a 30gal. barrel has a 18" diameter.

Yeah I remember something about the Bandit that Derek got for his OTS or whatever it was, that was like back when I first joined the website. I remember he loved that freaking thing, so maybe that's the route you'd like checking into.

As much as I'd love to recommend the Cajun Bandit, I can't as it's for the 22 1/2" Kettle not the 18 1/2".

As much as I'd love to recommend the Cajun Bandit, I can't as it's for the 22 1/2" Kettle not the 18 1/2".

I can. Wampus could keep the 18 and use one of his 22's with the Cajun Bandit kit. :thumb:

DSC_0365.jpg

Back