Turkey Breast

jhuyser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Where does one buy the boneless turkey breast ready to smoke? I heard Purdue sells such a product but didnt have much luck communicating to them. See attached Picture, its the turkey breast every BBQ restaurant has

Attachments

• turkey breast.jpg
    turkey breast.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 187
I caught it once a couple of years ago. It was in a mesh bag. I haven't seen it since.

Ask your meat cutter in the supermarket.

I know Whole Foods (paycheck) keeps them but be prepared to leave with an empty wallet. They are priced very high.

I checked during the holidays and they were $10.99 lb.!!:shock:

Butterball has them in the mesh bag as others have mentioned. I swear they are packed with so much saline solution they taste nothing like what a turkey breast should after cooked. I tried them twice and ended up throwing the second one away as no one liked the flavor.

I haven't had much luck finding a quality off the bone breast. I called a few butchers and even reached out to local BBQ joints but no luck. I never tried restaurant depot.

Instead I've started buying whole turkeys and breaking them down. I bought 3 after Christmas at 68 cents/lb just for this purpose. I took everything else and ground down for turkey burgers.

Our Kroger's have them all the time but they are in the freezer section and are kind of hidden and easy over looked if not paying attention.

The Restaurant Depot and US Foods near me have them every day. You have to buy a case of 4. They usually run ~$50 for 19-20lbs.

Thanks for the info keep it coming, I have heard Purdue carries them but customer support at Purdue acts like they don't even know what business they are in.. They should be a fairly raw and unnatural product. I can brine them and cook them myself.. I dont have a restaurant depot or a US foods around me... But correct they have to come from a food supplier of some sort as every BBQ restaurant has them on their menu.. They are not a mesh net product either you would see lines on the product from the net...

I always buy the Hotel turkey breast....on the bone. Try to catch them when they are on sale, usually .99 per pound.
Then just run your knife down along the breast bone on both sides. You are left with two Turkey London Broils, and the carcass which I always used to make soup with!

2nd Restaurant Depot. $2.19 a lb. 2 breasts foil wrapped per foil, 2 foil packs per box. About 18-20lbs. Butterball or Jennie-O brands. Both are good.

Back