What else can I smoke?

Probably the easiest to start with is a Fatty as described above. Great plain with breakfast or get creative and stuff it for dinner. Search my name and Pizza Fatty for one idea.

Ribs are easy and take about 4 hours. Butts take longer, but are very forgiving and take about 9 hours for me.

Smoked whole bone-in beef shin / shank comes to mind. I need to find one.

Your "country ribs" would be a great starting place/piece! Just cook them until they are done through, but not overcooked. They are great and taste a lot like spare ribs without the bones. One of my favorite things to smoke for guests. Have some good sauce on the side, or applied the last 20 minutes or so before you take them up if you like your ribs sauced. Easy to cook and hard to mess up unless you over cook them.

Have fun and be Blessed!
Welcome to the forum!

Omar

I do rumps and eye of round to medium rare for Chicago style Italian beef. It's fun and something different. And quick if you don't feel like spending a whole day outside. I've done beef tongue, whole turkeys, turnips, corn... you name it.

Sweet potatoes.
Squash.
Potatoes.

The only limit is your imagination.

Chuck!
Chicken
Lamb shanks

Also you can do roasts like beef rib roast or leg of lamb. Not a long smoke, just smoke until it's a bit below your target temp and then sear on a hot grill, and let it rest a bit.

Cook the country ribs like a pork butt, it wont take as long, i did some on my kettle and my MIL went to town on them!:biggrin1:

I wish my MIL would go to town and stay there!

Cedar planked Salmon is Great!

it's getting to be cheese smoking weather.......

smokedcheese007.jpg

Welcome aboard. A 1/2 cow is quite a bit of ground beef. I would start with that - take some, spice it up how you like, throw it onto a squer (I cant spell) or not and smoke. I would keep doing that until you have it right. Mix no more than an 85/15 (apx) blend a leaner blend works great with adding a bit of port or lamb. If you must use a leaner blend add lots of olive oil (that rocks) and smokes well with garlic. Good luck; I hope to see some pics and stories soon.

We smoked some pumpkins and tasted like cat poop. The wife took a few scoops and tossed in her pie filling and it came to life with a nice richness. Experiment, even if you get cat poop.

Cooked a lamb rib roast on the new smoker. Smoked to around 145 then wrapped in foil to let rest a while. Then sliced and grilled briefly in the firebox.
2014-10-19 14.22.52.jpg
2014-10-19 14.26.14.jpg
2014-10-19 14.29.17.jpg
2014-10-19 14.30.57.jpg
2014-10-19%2014.22.52.jpg
2014-10-19%2014.22.52.jpg

Csharpdev, that lamb rib roast looks awesome. How did you prep it before smoking? Did you use any sauces or glazes for the grilling phase?

Csharpdev, that lamb rib roast looks awesome. How did you prep it before smoking? Did you use any sauces or glazes for the grilling phase?

I picked up a Bone Suckin' Sauce rub at Lowe's when I bought a bunch of char coal and lumps of wood. So I used that as the rub because I was being lazy. The flavor profile wasn't right for lamb but it still tasted good which I guess is all that matters. On Lamb I usually do salt, pepper, garlic and rosemary (I know how original) and I kinda wish I had stuck with that.

No glaze or sauce. My 2 year daughter loved them...but she's the carnivore of my kids, loves anything with a bone she can chew off of, and lamb is her favorite so no surprise there.

Back