New Guy

tapout067

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I jsut started getting into smoking, have done some ribs, chicken thighs and pork tenderloin. Looking to expand my options and looking for some cheap (in case i screw up bad) suggestions and maybe helpful hints.

Thanks
Bryan

Chicken Thighs and pork butts are cheap...

As mentioned above, pork butts are very forgiving when smoking. I would suggest cooking a pork butt or boston butt roast. This cut of meat has a lot of fat and takes a while to cook, so it is very forgiving to most beginner's mistakes. Purchase a pork butt, usually about an 8 pound average with bone in. Some stores now only sell boneless pork butts which will work as well. Just make sure that if you have the boneless pork butt it is rolled and tied properly.

In most cases there is no need to trim excess fat from the meat as most of the fat is going to render away. For the beginner I would not recommend trimming the meat until he / she cooks a few pork butts and sees how the fat renders down. Once you understand how the fat cap renders down, then you may trim the fat if so desired.

Liberally apply a coating of your desired rub, cover, and refrigerate overnight. About 1 hour before smoking remove the meat from the refrigerator let sit uncovered for about 30 minutes while you ready your smoker.

You can also cut the butt into a couple pieces and season them differently to compare the final taste results.

Thanks everyone. If only the week would go faster so we can get to the weekend. cant' wait to try some new meats.

Bologna!

Smoke it once and you'll fall in love :bow:

Welcome! Great group of helpful people here. Since my first post nothing but support and any questions have been answered.

I know it's a little pricier and sometimes hard to find, but beef tri-tip is amazing and very hard to screw up. Smoke at ~250 for 3-5 hours until medium rare, I usually shoot for about 135-140 internal temp and then sear it over direct heat for a touch of texture if desired. Make sure you have a board that can catch juices and cut across the grain.

Back