Home Setup Griddle/Grill Advice

HAdams

Reaction score
Hi All - found you while doing some research. I've read all the various threads about Blackstone vs. Camp Chef but figured I'd ask for my "unique" situation and see what you think.

I live in Boston - Charlestown actually and I'm looking for a replacement for my gas grill which is going out on the curb this week for the local scrap scavengers to scoop it up.

I'm looking to replace it with something that will allow me to both grill and griddle (and really looking forward to doing a lot of griddling!)

I've narrowed down my choices to:

Blackstone Tailgater

or

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Explorer-EX-60LW-2-Burner/dp/B0006VORDY"]Amazon.com: Camp Chef Explorer Series EX-60LW 2-Burner Modular Cooking System, Black: Automotive[/ame]
This second one I'd add a griddle and a grill box to.

Questions for Your Wisdom:

1. The downside of the BS one is that the griddle space isn't that large and you can't just plop a bigger griddle on top - wish they had that option

2. Wondering about the relative sturdiness of them

3. Like the ability of the Camp Chef to take a wide range of modules - larger griddle, smaller griddle, grill box, etc.

4. Would I be smarter buying the bigger BS 36" griddle and worry about a grill option later (the big grill top seems a bit unwieldy though to replace the whole kit and kaboodle?)

Welcome all opinions! (Also for purchasing I'm going with Amazon because I've got about $175 in gift cards loaded up on the account so even if there are better deals elsewhere a chunk of the purchase price is "free" ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Hudson

Watching the video for the Blackstone, it looks like you can take the "stock" griddle and grill box off and replace them both with a single larger griddle that would cover both burners.

Watching the video for the Blackstone, it looks like you can take the "stock" griddle and grill box off and replace them both with a single larger griddle that would cover both burners.

They don't make one though - maybe in the future they will. Or I guess I could figure out how to have one fabricated.

Unless you want/need the portability, I wouldn't consider either of these options for regular back yard use. I think you'd be much better off finding a nice inexpensive used Weber gasser locally on Craigslist, fixing it up as needed (buying parts off Amazon if you must) and then buying a griddle that you could use on top of it from Amazon.

There's a couple of reasons for this. First, neither of the options you listed are really durable enough to sit out on a patio year round unless you are absolutely religious about putting covers on. Secondly, and most important, both linked items are made with portability being one of the top concerns. With that, ergonomics is a secondary consideration at best. Unless you are vertically challenged, both sit kind of low and you'll find yourself bending over trying to tend to items cooking on them. Doing this now and then on a camping trip or when tailgating isn't a big deal. Having to put up with it 3 -5 times per week or however frequently you grill, is.

I would tend to agree with Demosthenes9... Pick up a gas grill and then get a griddle to use on it. If you get a Weber gasser, they make griddles to replace one of the cooking grates. Or you can go with a 3rd part option like a Lodge cast iron griddle, or the "Little Griddle" that has gotten good reviews on here:

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Little-Griddle-GQ230-Professional/dp/B00CBDBV8Y"]Amazon.com : Little Griddle GQ230 Professional Series Griddle : Grill Griddles : Patio, Lawn & Garden[/ame]

Thanks guys - I've heard some good things about this one:

[ame="https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Flat-Top-Grill/dp/B00L9XAMTQ/ref=sr_1_1?srs=2586718011&ie=UTF8&qid=1466445226&sr=8-1&keywords=flat+top"]Amazon.com: Camp Chef Flat Top Grill: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

Is the lack of a lid a big limiting factor?

Thanks guys - I've heard some good things about this one:

Amazon.com: Camp Chef Flat Top Grill: Sports & Outdoors

Is the lack of a lid a big limiting factor?

Impact of lack of a lid will depend on what you are wanting to cook. With a lidded grill, you could use it as an outdoor oven and also do indirect cooking. So, baking, roasting, slow cooking, that kind of thing, will be an issue.

For direct grilling, as shown in the pictures on Amazon, lack of a lid isn't a problem.

Thanks all for the advice. I popped into a Lowes yesterday to take a look at a Blackstone 36" griddle. Seemed like good construction, sturdily built. What I don't like is the need to buy a whole secondary grill top - it seems like a huge PITA to deal with/store/etc.

At the same time - the Camp Chef Flat Iron grill looks great and at $350 seems like a TON of value for the money. Being new to the griddle though, I'm not sure how much use I would get out of it. My expectation is that I'm going to be a griddle convert - but until I'm consistently using it I don't think it would be a smart purchase at this point.

I asked around about the height of the Blackstone Tailgater and two guys (one who's 5' 11") said it was about the same height as a regular grill when you extend the adjustable legs. I read through all the various questions/answers on different reviews like Amazon as well.

There's one other benefit that I can see getting from this here in New England - and that is being able to take off the grill box and/or griddle and use the burners directly with a big pot for lobsters if I don't feel like firing up my big 3' square steamer box. Would love to get that done outside instead of in the kitchen!

I'm going to take a chance on the Tailgater - for $170 on Amazon with free shipping - if it's a disaster I won't be kicking myself and if it's my entree to the griddling world then it's a great piece of transition equipment.

Thanks again for your help and advice and giving me some food for thought. I'll report back as I get it up and running.

Back