WSM 22" Water pan ?

DanB

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
opps don't know how it got in here..Please move to Q-Talk
Thanks DanB

Hi All I was able to pick up a used 22" WSM. Looks like my water pan sits right on top of the charcoal ring. Might cause a problem with adding more charcaol, also is airflow an issue?
Any one else that has a WSM 22" like mine let me what you think and how you do get around thisif it is a problem.
According to the code letters it only 2 years old. Is this normal for that model year?
Thanks DanB

opps don't know how it got in here..Please move to Q-Talk
Thanks DanB

It's been moved. When you need help from a moderator please use the report post button instead of posting a request (like one of the members did for you :-D). We can't read every post looking for requests.

My 22.5 is far away but my 18.5 is real close. Here is a picture of the 22.5
A559961F-D62A-408E-A968-4EEA0C4BBAE0_zpsx6rzwawc.jpg

I replaced the water bowl in my 18.5 with a clay saucer because I don't use water, makes for easy cleanup and gives me plenty of room to really load up the charcoal ring for long cooks.

Report post buttom

It's been moved. When you need help from a moderator please use the report post button instead of posting a request (like one of the members did for you :-D). We can't read every post looking for requests.
Hi Thanks for moving it..I don't see the button your talking about?
DanB

Water Pan

Hi All I don't see any brackets that water pan can sit on? Looks like it just sits on charcoal ring. Will take a pic when I get a chance.
Don't really think I'll use water in the pan, maybe some lava rocks. I think it will help with the overnite cooks I got it for.
Water pan sitting on top of the ring, will it cause any probelms I should be aware of?
Thanks DanB

Water Pan

Hi Guys thanks for the fast replies.Think I got it now..The lower grill is right on top of the water pan, right?
Went into the garage and sure enough the water pan is sitting on the bracket. How did I miss that???
Boy it's tough getting old.:doh:
Thanks Again DanB
PS My water pan measures 18 3/4". Thought I might have gotten the wrong water pan!!

Ditched my water pan on day one and replaced it with a diffuser (sp?) plate, and never looked back :)

Hi Guys thanks for the fast replies.Think I got it now..The lower grill is right on top of the water pan, right?
Went into the garage and sure enough the water pan is sitting on the bracket. How did I miss that???
Thanks Again DanB
PS My water pan measures 18 3/4". Thought I might have gotten the wrong water pan!!

Careful not to burn the house down :grin:

Thanks Again DanB

You are correct Sir.

Button

Thanks Ron I finally found the report button.:doh:

Hi All I'm going to fire up WSM tomorrow I got 2 racks of BB's and a pork butt.Which grill is hotter top or bottom?
Will I need a full ring?
Has any one extended the charcoal ring with expanded metal, for longer smokes?

Thanks Dan

On my 22, I've gone 18 hours without having to reload. On my 18 I have gone about 16.

Top rack runs about 10 degrees hotter on mine, I use a clay saucer and no water. No need to expand the ring, even on my 18.5 I can get over 16lbs of charcoal in the ring and I've never had to add fuel during a cook. I would suggest you attach the ring to the charcoal grate so you can pick it up as one piece and shake out the ash from unused coals, I used small SS hose clamps.

Hey Dan, get yourself some small cans and put the bottom grate above the top grate like this:

IMG_3623_zpsw5odlgdb.jpg

I've even done two briskets this way:

IMG_4380_zpscerer8ui.jpg

That way you can put your ribs on the top grate, and then the butt on the bottom grate above the top grate, if that makes any sense.

Also, check the link in my signature for mods I did to my old WSM.

Hey Dan, get yourself some small cans and put the bottom grate above the top grate like this:

IMG_3623_zpsw5odlgdb.jpg

I've even done two briskets this way:

IMG_4380_zpscerer8ui.jpg

That way you can put your ribs on the top grate, and then the butt on the bottom grate above the top grate, if that makes any sense.

Also, check the link in my signature for mods I did to my old WSM.

Thanks for the reminder had that grill part all figured out, with my old EBC.
So then I get 12-24 hrs by just filling the charcoal ring..Works for me.:clap2:
Thanks All
DanB
PS Don't know what that SP plate is?

Had to reread to see what an SP plate was too. I see the following above from Doug:

Ditched my water pan on day one and replaced it with a diffuser (sp?) plate, and never looked back :)
The "sp?" in parenthesis meant he wasn't sure on the spelling of the word diffuser, which looks correct to me. Some people have replaced the water pan with a thick sheet of metal, maybe with some holes in it. It diffuses the heat on it's way up. If you are never going to use water, it's an idea.

I didn't plan to use water, but also didn't want to store the water pan some where, so I got a Terra Cotta Planter base, wrapped it in foil, and set it inside my also wrapped water pan. On top of that, I put an aluminum pan to catch most of the drippings for easy clean up.

Attachments

• pACE3-3912952enh-z8.jpg
    pACE3-3912952enh-z8.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 111
Back