Should I or Shouldn't I...

JbTech

Take a breath!

Batch Image
Reaction score
Rescue a 22.5 Weber Kettle?

I noticed someone dropped a dark gray Weber 22.5 with a wooden lid handle in the scrap pile at work.

Problem is, I don't need another money pit right now...:doh:

I've read wonderful things about Weber customer service, but how good is it?

-The legs are buckled. Likely totally garbage.
-There is a dent in the lid. Roughly 4"x6"
-Wooden handle is there, but badly damaged.
-Haven't looked for a date code yet.

It's at work, so I can get pics Monday or so, but I've avoided going out to look too closely. I know once I drag it into the shop I'll come up with all sorts of ideas. (Bigger UDS, Fix it Use it, etc.)

I know I can likely get all the parts to fix the little things, but how much $$?

I do like the idea of fixing it up and finding a new home for it. Hmmm...

I would just for the lid....as an example I bought a kettle just so I would have a lid for my 2nd 007.

Pull it out of the dumpster and take it home.
Have a good look at it and determine if it can be fixed, and if it can how much will it cost.
Can't be fixed or cost too much? Take it back to the dumpster.
Easy peasy.

Not all kettles can be saved.

I probably would.

I would just for the lid....as an example I bought a kettle just so I would have a lid for my 2nd 007.

Yep - At least get the lid

Is there a question?

Apparently not. :loco:

General consensus seems to point to dragging it out of the pile!

Can I get all the parts from Weber for an older grill? I assume it's out of warranty. Pretty sure the warranty said 10 years for rust and burn through.

Thanks!
Updates to come tomorrow!!:eusa_clap

The Weber ended up being a B code, which if I remember correctly, is a 1980 model.

Condition of the lid is better than I remember, but the leg supports are rusted off and left holes in the base. :doh:

I'll at least grab the lid, but I don't have a 22, so we might have to make something out the base.

The jury is still out on this one. Looking forward to input from the Brethren!
Thanks guys!

sDEna2.jpg

CnLGIi.jpg

rGN3E0.jpg

I0kRlq.jpg

That bowl is pretty much junk.
I would salvage the lower vents, the wheels, the triangle (if it's decent) and the ashpan (especially if it's a rolled edge twist on). guys doing full on restores are always looking for period correct parts to rebuild kettles. The lid could be used for a UDS, or hang on to it until you kind a kettle with a sh!tty lid and decent bowl.

I have a "B" 22.5" kettle, and my bowl has metal handles where yours has wood. Interesting.

That bowl is pretty much junk.
I would salvage the lower vents, the wheels, the triangle (if it's decent) and the ashpan (especially if it's a rolled edge twist on). guys doing full on restores are always looking for period correct parts to rebuild kettles. The lid could be used for a UDS, or hang on to it until you kind a kettle with a sh!tty lid and decent bowl.

I have a "B" 22.5" kettle, and my bowl has metal handles where yours has wood. Interesting.

Thanks, Harbormaster!

The triangle, wheels, and ashpan are all in decent condition for the age.
Might be worth cleaning up and passing along!

All 3 wooden handles seem to be original, as the whole thing was chucked in the bin. Grates, ashpan, legs, wheels...Like I said, the whole thing.

I was surprised it was that old, and equally disappointed when I looked at the bottom of the bowl. I can fix it, but not sure it's worth it.

Let me see if I've got this straight...

You've come to a bunch of enablers to see if you should salvage a Weber?

YESSSSSS!!!!! You should!!

Let me see if I've got this straight...

You've come to a bunch of enablers to see if you should salvage a Weber?

YESSSSSS!!!!! You should!!

I know, seems silly...

But on the flip side, I've got no experience with deciding whether to fix it or scrap it.

If some of the parts are worth keeping, then it's worth it.

I know, seems silly...

But on the flip side, I've got no experience with deciding whether to fix it or scrap it.

If some of the parts are worth keeping, then it's worth it.

:wink:

I found a 47 cm weber in a similar state.
The holes in the bottom can easily be closed with a nut and bolt and a (big) washer on either side.
You won't have legs.

Legs can be made by buying some round tube.
Weld a nut to a washer and weld the washer to the top of the round tube.
You can now screw the weber to the legs.
I still have to do this though.

The alternative is to put it on top of anything that doesnt hinder the air flow and allows access to the vents.
Or you set the vent beforehand and just deal with it that way.

Anyway, good luck!

Have you been to www.weberkettleclub.com ?
It's a kettle enthusiast site, but lots of hobbist, restorer types there. You will get tons of help, instruction, possible offers, parts, expertise, etc.
Good Luck!

Have you been to www.weberkettleclub.com ?
It's a kettle enthusiast site, but lots of hobbist, restorer types there. You will get tons of help, instruction, possible offers, parts, expertise, etc.
Good Luck!

I'll take a look, although I need another forum like a hole in the head!

Back