Any downsides to Pitmaker Safe or Vault

tx_hellraiser

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase one of these pits next year i am torn between the safe or the Vault. Any downsides or issues with either of these pits

Never heard anything Bad on them - several guys on here have them and love them. Getcha One!

I see the odd post that they can take off in temp you can find the post with the search I'm guessing, they sure look sweet though

i can't seem to paste the links, but search and you will see what I'm saying.

Cost and size wont be an deal breaker

Then the answer is no. The Vault is built as heavy duty as it gets. When I was shopping for a vertical I looked at most everything out there. In the end it came down between Pitmaker and Spicewine. I liked them both equally and my decision came down to shipping cost. Due to the fact I live real close to I-10 and own a forklift, I got my Vault delivered for almost nothing. That was the deciding factor for me. The Vault holds temps like a champ and cooks like a dream. Capacity is great as well. I have found no issues at all with the Vault. 100% satisfied all the way around.

I see the odd post that they can take off in temp you can find the post with the search I'm guessing, they sure look sweet though

My guess is this was before they upgraded the air intake from the slide to ball valve. I can't imagine the temperature taking off with the ball-valve control.
I recently purchased a used Superior Smokers SS-1, and I'm amazed at how steady the temperature stays with a BBQ Guru. I think the sheer mass of the heated area helps keep everything stabilized.

From everything I've seen and heard Pitmakers are top-notch.
If I had my choice, I would go with the Vault just to have the increased area. Since I don't need full capacity I've been using the upper shelves in mine, farther away from the fire, to avoid the hot-spot towards the bottom.

I've only had my Vault for 2 weeks and I'm mad at myself for not buying one sooner. It holds 275 on the dot with ease. No need for electronics or forced air. Super easy to clean (ash pan / grease)
Once your at temp it uses very little fuel

Drawbacks: It only holds 18 briskets. 2. If you are short top rack will be on your tippy toes

For some reason the shipping on Safe is more than Vault, but go with the Vault. It's a no brainer.

I will go to houston and pick it up so no shipping is needed if they will allow me to pick it up Thanks for the input guys its a tough call

I will go to houston and pick it up so no shipping is needed if they will allow me to pick it up Thanks for the input guys its a tough call

They actually prefer that you pick it up if you can. They will gladly tour you around the facility and answer any questions that you have. If money is not a issue, get the Vault. You will not be disappointed my friend.

Ok good they must have been with the slide, they sure are the nicest smokers I have looked online that's for sure

Just arrived today at my buddies casa
IMG_59551.jpg

My BBQ Safe and I are in a deeply committed relationship. You're going to love yours, whichever one you decide on.

very nice is there anything you dont like about it?

My Vault makes me feel guilty about having XL BGE that is just sitting and a Stoker I bought less than a year ago collecting dust. No need for forced air.

I guess the downside is my wife would be pissed if I bought one. Might have to sleep on the couch for awhile. Might be a fair trade off.

Back