Seeking Advice on what to Smoke First?

Jravenscraft

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
So I placed my order today for a Humphrey's Battle Box and am scheduled for a delivery date in 1 month!! Already so excited and so pleased with Nicole and Chad. Bought directly from them and they threw in a few extras for me. :razz:

Just want to know what you would smoke first on it?
Thanks!

Naked fatties rock! :rockon:

BTW, if you are from Vernon Hills, IL we are getting together in a local forest preserve in July if you would like to join us! Details are at the link in my signature

Naked Fatty and a Pork Butt. Both are super forgiving and delicious!

I'd smoke a butt! But you know, I like big butts.:thumb:...wait we are still talking about smoking, right? :biggrin1:

I agree with the pork butt. They are easy, hard to screw up and will get you compliments and confidence up. Pull it for maximum enjoyment.

I'l along with Fatties but nothing I have found does a better job to season a new pit than a bunch of chicken

I would do a big butt and a couple fattys to help build up the seasoning on that bad boy. Butts are an easy first cook, as mentioned above they're forgiving and people will love it.

I'm with Bludawg ^^^^^. Fatties are good, but lots of chicken is hard to beat when you are seasoning up a new smoker.

Remember to fully season the pit before you cook a food item.

Fatties are good after the seasoning process but I think Pork Butts are very forgiving in a cook and are a great choice to test run a new smoker.

Some naked fatties and keep it rolling and throw on a brisket and some ribs to eat while the brisket is finishing.

Butts are user friendly, a little too long of a cook for me on a first time. I'd go with a couple of spatchcocked chickens. Hard to screw up and also cheap. Good luck, Joe

Back