Hope these shoulders finish in time...

Fallen Kell

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well as the title says, I hope the shoulders I put on will be done in time. I put on 2 shoulders, one is ~6 pounds the other ~7 (they have the same thickness, the one is just a little wider) so I am hoping they will be alright cooking together. That said, they went in around 8:40am and I need them out and done and pulled by 6:30-7:30 tonight.

Do you guys think I will be ok?

It all depends on your temperatures. Also, they're better if you take them off an hour or two ahead of time, wrap them in foil, and then a towel, and let them steep.

If you're running 220 (way too low for many other reasons), maybe not. 240-260, yeah, no issues. 260-300, they'll be done in 3 or 4 hours.

I don't see a problem with having them done in time. Remember, you can always bump up the temp and/or wrap them in foil to help speed the process along. Just make sure you let em rest before you pull them.

No cooler fer me!!! I rest pork just long enough not to get 3 rd deg burns while pulling it , Carry over cooking can make for some mushy PP

If you are cooking at 300-325+ you are fine for your time frame. If you are cooking lower than that, your dinner is going to be pushed back.

"so I am hoping they will be alright cooking together."

Pork always plays well together....just that they don't always come in after dark at exactly the same time..............:wink:

hmm... I'm cooking at 240. I will push it up to about 250-255.

Yeah that's pretty low... You'll be around 1.5 hr per lb at that temp if not a little more... Especially if you're peeking a lot. I would crank the temp up for sure if you're concerned about the time frame. What are you cooking on?

Yeah that's pretty low... You'll be around 1.5 hr per lb at that temp if not a little more... Especially if you're peeking a lot. I would crank the temp up for sure if you're concerned about the time frame. What are you cooking on?

I agree with Tigersfan....if you want them done in time I'd cook at a min of 270, probably closer to 300.

You need to get closer to 300 as others said...

Pushing it to 270 then. I don't really need to peak at all in my setup (a Humphrey's Battlebox with CyberQ to control temps). I will be opening up an about a hour or so to put a light coat of rub on and stick the temp probes in (don't really need them in from the beginning).

Thanks everyone. Glad enough of you talked me into a higher temp. It has been resting for about 10 minutes now. I did have to wrap (last 2 hours of the cook), but then again, I think I have always wrapped my shoulders.

Pic from right before wrapping:
7UTaFAQ.jpg

Sorry for the blur, was hard to take with the gloves on and the reflection from the foil.

The bottom one caught a bit on the rack and broke the bark (it was the fat cap/skin side so was very easy to break).
7UTaFAQ

Back