Hot Food in a Food Grade Bucket? Liners?

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Saw this post in a thread about brining - didn't want to hijack, so anyway - I'm looking at options for transporting a large amount of cooked beans and collard greens - would these food grade buckets (food grade 90 mil hdpe plastic) and/or liners work for that? I know they won't keep the food warm, I'm just mainly thinking about transporting food without making a big ole mess and getting it into pans, cambros, warmers, etc. on site.

The bucket should be a "Food Safe" bucket (NSF). If it is not rated "Food Safe" you can use a "Food Safe" bucket liner.

You can also use food safe 5 gallon bucket liners. I have several food grade buckets that are sanitized, and I put the liners in them keeping them clean as I use them.

Food Safe grade buckets are available at bakeries, delis, and such... Most are more than happy to give them to you.

http://starkboards.com//Disposable_Cutting_Boards_files/widget0_markup.html#!/5-Gallon-Bucket-Liners/p/28037235/category=8946173
220818058.jpg

So - would these liners be OK for storing/transporting hot food? The site says they will hold boiling water but I'm not sure if that statement definitively answers my question. Has anybody done this?

Thanks!

How hot are them beans? I would think boiling water will be much hotter than the beans you will be putting in there. Shoot Matt an IM.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
The beans will obviously not be as hot as boiling water, but since I'm serving beans and not boiling water I'd like to know for sure there won't be any off flavors imparted by the bags before I dump beans for 300 in them.

I did shoot a message - thanks - I just realized that's from a vendor on this site - always happy to support a Brethren business!

Over a short term, all food grade plastics will not impart a flavor. Your biggest worry would be with acids or lyes, I assume your beans are pretty neutral.

• Thanks
I use the xxl ziplock bags during comps after injecting the big meats. They are huge and seal well. Not sure about how they react to heat, but it's worth some research

• Thanks
The bucket liners are rated at 250 degrees if I remember correctly.

The good point about the liners is the ease of clean-up..

I have used them over 50 times for hot foods, (soup, chili,) and there is no off taste. I do however rinse the bags before adding food. They are stable for the rated temperature and will not give off any plastic flavors.

• Thanks
There has to be some catering folks here that has a couple of ideas on how to do this.
I guess that would be a way to get them there. I know somebody that has 3 sets of those metal trays that you put sterno under. I will see if I can get those (if you need them) and we can transfer the food into those from the buckets if thats how we end up getting the food there.

• Thanks
Looks like oven bags come in pretty large sizes...
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/oven-bags.html

Those bucket liners aren't bad looking either and fairly inexpensive!

I've used cheap white styrofoam ice chests to haul food. Just bagged the food in giant zip locks and placed inside the coolers.

Good luck with what ever you find Greg! :-D

• Thanks
Doesn,t make sense to me. You,re going to cook the beans and at some point reheat them right? You are not going to cook in a plastic bucket and not reheat in a plastic bucket. So why transfer to the bucket in the first place?

Over a short term, all food grade plastics will not impart a flavor. Your biggest worry would be with acids or lyes, I assume your beans are pretty neutral.

Yup - they are. Good to know - this is the type info I'm looking for - thanks!

The bucket liners are rated at 250 degrees if I remember correctly.

The good point about the liners is the ease of clean-up..

I have used them over 50 times for hot foods, (soup, chili,) and there is no off taste. I do however rinse the bags before adding food. They are stable for the rated temperature and will not give off any plastic flavors.

Great! I know I have this as an option now, and the point about rinsing the bags out prior to use is a good one that I wouldn't have thought of - very cool!

Looks like oven bags come in pretty large sizes...
http://www.webstaurantstore.com/search/oven-bags.html

Those bucket liners aren't bad looking either and fairly inexpensive!

I've used cheap white styrofoam ice chests to haul food. Just bagged the food in giant zip locks and placed inside the coolers.

Good luck with what ever you find Greg! :-D

Those are some big arse oven bags! Come on out and help Jeanie!

There has to be some catering folks here that has a couple of ideas on how to do this.
I guess that would be a way to get them there. I know somebody that has 3 sets of those metal trays that you put sterno under. I will see if I can get those (if you need them) and we can transfer the food into those from the buckets if thats how we end up getting the food there.

If you can get a hold of chafing dishes that would be great! I have a couple, but need a couple more. Are they the regular hotel pan size chafers?

Doesn,t make sense to me. You,re going to cook the beans and at some point reheat them right? You are not going to cook in a plastic bucket and not reheat in a plastic bucket. So why transfer to the bucket in the first place?

It's for transport. I know that moving beans and collards for 300 can be a messy proposition. I have a cambro, and I'm getting one (or maybe more) of those insulated nylon pan carriers that will hold around 4 pans, but I'm not sure how much I trust foil pans with the crimped down lids do keep food from getting all in my minivan - with about 16 or 18 pans, something's bound to happen and I want to minimize the likelihood of that. Space is an issue as well. If these nylon pan carriers turn out to look like a good and clean solution, I may go with that - it would save from having to move food from one container to another and back

Thanks y'all!

I worked at a food manufacturer that made pie fillings among other things. They cooked the fillings to~200 deg F and then filled them directly into food grade plastic buckets for use in grocery stores and what not. No liners, no cooling.

Perfectly fine to store hot and even boiling foods in them.

• Thanks
Yup - they are. Good to know - this is the type info I'm looking for - thanks!

Great! I know I have this as an option now, and the point about rinsing the bags out prior to use is a good one that I wouldn't have thought of - very cool!

Those are some big arse oven bags! Come on out and help Jeanie!

If you can get a hold of chafing dishes that would be great! I have a couple, but need a couple more. Are they the regular hotel pan size chafers?

It's for transport. I know that moving beans and collards for 300 can be a messy proposition. I have a cambro, and I'm getting one (or maybe more) of those insulated nylon pan carriers that will hold around 4 pans, but I'm not sure how much I trust foil pans with the crimped down lids do keep food from getting all in my minivan - with about 16 or 18 pans, something's bound to happen and I want to minimize the likelihood of that. Space is an issue as well. If these nylon pan carriers turn out to look like a good and clean solution, I may go with that - it would save from having to move food from one container to another and back

Thanks y'all!
Good point. I was thinking hotel pans.

• Thanks
I used to make 50 Gal of soup for a local Christmas festival and I would make it at home in batches and pour direct into food grade pails to reheat over the course of the weekend.

Didn't impart any taste and didn't kill anyone (that I'm aware of).

• Thanks
I dumped some just-under-boiling collards into one of those liners last night, let 'em sit for a while and ate them. No off taste or any other problems at all. :thumb:

Back