THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BolandSTL

Knows what a fatty is.
So I seasoned this with oakridge BBQ Santa Maria and reverse seared it. I know its a little too medium, but it was completely flavorless. And the flavor it did have almost left a bad taste in my mouth. Didn't make anyone sick, but do you think it was spoiled or just a low grade piece of beef? It came from a pretty popular butcher shop. The ones I buy at the local super market are always awesome.

Attachments

• 20150725_163737.jpg
    20150725_163737.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 206
You get a dud every now & then......pretty sure it's the cattle's feed.......inject with creole butter or 50 / 50 mix of Woosty / creole to flavor it up if you get one that just looks kinda bland before cooking ( you can, sort of, tell by looking at the piece raw)

The less than stellar ones seem to usually be a little tight feeling also.....not real loose & limp from the fat marble....hard to tell exactly, but hope that helps some.....

You get a dud every now & then......pretty sure it's the cattle's feed.......inject with creole butter or 50 / 50 mix of Woosty / creole to flavor it up if you get one that just looks kinda bland before cooking ( you can, sort of, tell by looking at the piece raw)

The less than stellar ones seem to usually be a little tight feeling also.....not real loose & limp from the fat marble....hard to tell exactly, but hope that helps some.....

You are spot on. It looked tight and had no marbling what so ever.

I had a brisket like that once. Been cooking them for a long time. Really pissed me off. I had to put sauce on it.:mad:

was it 100% grass fed? i saw a 100% grass fed tri-tip at the butcher today...thought to myself....that CANT be good without all the extra fat in there

Unless you got a bad piece of meat (or it was a Texas tri-tip)... it was probably overcooked.
Overcooked = tasteless.
Tri-tip is just that way.

Unless you got a bad piece of meat (or it was a Texas tri-tip)... it was probably overcooked.
Overcooked = tasteless.
Tri-tip is just that way.

I overcooked the first one I ever did and it was still juicy and had good beef flavor. This one was completely flavorless. ohh well

Back