Used Winston CVAP

ShencoSmoke

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Just took a chance on a used 2 door CVAP for $300. Do these things usually hold up well or do they tend to have problems when they get older? To be honest it was a last minute purchase and I didn't get to look at it in person. Thanks

Hopefully all is well when you get it home. If not, they are pretty easy to work on but parts are expensive. The best price I found on parts is directly from Winston and they ship pronto...Any missing parts, racks, hangers etc can undermine a killer deal... I had to replace the circulating fan on mine, easy to replace but the part was in the $350 range. wildherre

I got a half size and a 2 door full size off ebay. The Half has been working great. The full had a faulty board, which I replaced for 400 bucks. Been working like a boss for 4.5 years. 6 days a week, 15 hours a day. Great holding units.

good to hear. i will post some pics once i get it home tomorrow. any concerns with laying it on its back during transport?

Should be fine on it's back. I would take out the shelves before laying it down. Really not a lot of moving parts and they are in the top of the unit.

Got her home and parked next to her companion for the rest of her life (my stumps). All the shelves are intact and in general it's a clean unit. I did notice that the left knob (food temp) spins 360 degrees and doesn't have the white indicator arrow painted on it. Seems that that would be a problem when trying to set the temp. Gonna plug her in tomorrow and see what I have.
View attachment 105066

Last edited:
Fired it up today, came up to temp, fan is a little noisy but I'm not complaining. The left dial is digital, hence the 360 deg spinning, I'm a cvap rookie as you call tell.

I would love to have a mini-CVAP for home use

I have a full size Crescor at home, waiting to go into service at the next restaurant. A Cambro seems to do just fine around home.

CVAP is a good product. Parts are stupid priced. (Owned a different BBQ Restaurant, closed it in November) Fan on all 3 of my units I had all made more noise than I thought they should have. I had them since 05-06 and had to replace board in one unit, fan replaced on one unit. Seals don't seem to hold up as well if you are in it constantly. As with any product....it will last if you take care of it.

CVAP is a good product. Parts are stupid priced. (Owned a different BBQ Restaurant, closed it in November) Fan on all 3 of my units I had all made more noise than I thought they should have. I had them since 05-06 and had to replace board in one unit, fan replaced on one unit. Seals don't seem to hold up as well if you are in it constantly. As with any product....it will last if you take care of it.

What is the indicator that the fan needs to be replaced? Not coming up to temp?

Back