Question for electrician types

Uncle JJ

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I don't know anything about electrical issues - maybe one of you can answer a question for me. I'm considering buying a commercial fridge to keep in my garage. It requires:

115/60/1 phase, 15 amp dedicated outlet.

Can I plug this thing into a normal outlet, or will it cause problems?

You can as long as that outlet is the only thing on that breaker, or if you have multiple outlets just dont use them, most houses are set up on a 20 amp breaker, so if it is tied into with a light you will probably be ok, but it would be best to have a single outlet to a dedicated breaker, so that way you have no worries.

you need to know the amps or current draw of the equipment, especially on start up. This number can only be 80% of the breaker rating or you will have a problem with tripping the breaker. My guestomation would be that it needs a dedicated 20 or 30 amp circuit to operate reliably

115/60/1 phase, 15 amp Is what a standard household NEMA 5-15 outlet is rated for, the key word is "Dedicated" which as already stated means nothing else can be on the circuit. Below is a pic of a NEMA 5-15, does your spec sheet say what plug the fridge comes with?

5-15-7196k41l2p2-d01b-ms-land.png

115/60/1 phase, 15 amp is what a standard household nema 5-15 outlet is rated for, the key word is "dedicated" which as already stated means nothing else can be on the circuit. Below is a pic of a nema 5-15, does your spec sheet say what plug the fridge comes with?

5-15-7196k41l2p2-d01b-ms-land.png

5-15p

I can't imagine why that refer would require a dedicated circuit (very uncommon in residential wiring). If it's a fair sized refer, there may be an issue with starting amps is the only thing I can think of. But most breakers today have a "ramp" to the trip point.

The most common use of "dedicated" is on fine electronics such as computers. The electrical noise from a running motor can damage the computer. So it used to be a common requirement that the computer required a dedicated circuit. This circuit was normally marked with an orange duplex outlet. This requirement isn't as common as it was 20 years ago.

You can plug that refer in to any outlet.

I can't imagine why that refer would require a dedicated circuit (very uncommon in residential wiring).

It's a commercial fridge and not residential, I would suspect that the dedicated spec has as much to do with liability as it does with actual current demand of the fridge.

acguy, almost every single commercial appliance is meant to be the only appliance on that circuit. So the short answer. Yes, you can plug it into a regular 15amp outlet without any issues. Just make sure you don't have a toaster, microwave, or anything else high draw on the same circuit.

It's a commercial fridge and not residential, I would suspect that the dedicated spec has as much to do with liability as it does with actual current demand of the fridge.

^ +1

Also if you have other items on the circuit you may come home to a tripped breaker and a freezer full of thawed meat if you don't notice it right away.

Many dwellings have the circuit breaker panel in the garage. If that's the case simply add another breaker and make a dedicated circuit for the refrigerator.

Back