cooking chicken on a Charcoal grill ??

petewv

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I would like to buy a whole chicken cut it up, put it on my Charcoal grill with oak wood chips. What method would you use and do you put a rub on it first. When the chicken is all most finished cooking I am going to add sweet Baby Rays hickory and brown sugar BBQ sauce. I am posting a picture of my grill so you know what I have to work with.

Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• DSCF3714 (2).jpg
    DSCF3714 (2).jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 232
  • DSCF3715 (2).jpg
    DSCF3715 (2).jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 232
Brine the chicken if you have the time. Spatchcock the chicken, it will help it to cook more evenly. Yes, use a rub. if you have time, loosen the skin and get the rub underneath the skin. Cook the chicken offset from the heat (charcoal on the left, chicken on the right). I start cooking my chicken skin side down. I cook my chicken between 250 and 300, but I'm sure some do it hotter and some do it lower. Apply the sauce during the last 15 minutes of cooking. Hope this helps.

I cook my chicken on a char-griller 1st I spatchcock the bird, 2nd put a garlic pesto under the skin,3rd rub with slap you daddy's chicken rub, finally when almost done and the skin is crispy sauce it and let the sauce setup.

+1 on spatchcock method (cut out backbone with poultry shears and flatten out).

Cut up, cook the white meat to 165 deg, the dark to 185 deg. Cooked directly over the heat, you will have to keep turning it. Indirect, you just have to turn it once.

Mexican Roadside Chicken

Adapted from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless

DSCF0127.jpg

Picture by Bludawg

Ingredients

1 1/2 teaspoons ground ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
A big pinch of ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus a little more for the onions

1 large chicken, about 3 lbs, butterflied
2 large bunches of green onions or knob onions
A little olive oil for brushing the onions
Grilled tomatillo salsa, for serving
Procedure

1. Light a chimney 3/4 full of charcoal. While the charcoal is lighting, mix chile powder, oregano, cloves, cinnamon, garlic, vinegar, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon of slat together in a small bowl.

2. When the charcoal is fully lit and covered in gray ash, pour coals out and arrange them on one side of the charcoal grate, keeping the other side empty. Place the chicken over the cool side of the grill, skin side down, and brush exposed side with the wet rub. Flip the chicken over and brush the other side with the rub. Cover the grill and cook, basting occasionally with any remaining rub, at 350 degrees until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the breast, about 45 minutes. Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

3. While the chicken is resting, brush the onions with olive oil and season with salt. Place the onions over the hot side of the grill and cook until tender and browned, about 5 minutes per side.

4. To serve, cut the chicken into quarters, top with green onions and tomatillo salsa

I would like to buy a whole chicken cut it up, put it on my Charcoal grill with oak wood chips. .

Buy it.

Cut it up.

Brine it in a salt, sugar,pepper brine. Or whatever seasonings you choose. Just get the salt and sugar in there. I usually do equal parts salt and sugar. Then whatever else, from pepper corns, to orange zest, to rosemary, cilantro, whatever.... the list is endless.

I usually brine cut pieces for 4 to 5 hours.

Rub,.. no rub... doesn't matter. Just go light, to no salt if you do.

Prep that grill.

Set it up for indirect grilling. Having all of the lit coals pushed to one side.
Skin side down on the grate directly over coals. Grill till nice color on the skin.

Move to " cool side ,and flip skin side up, to finish cooking. Add a few of your wood chips to the coals.

Let the chicken cook.

Sauce lightly with warmed bbq sauce of your choice for last part of the cook. (the last 15-20 min.) Adding thin layers at a time and letting them firm up.
Pull when juices run clear. or....the I.T. is 160-165 ...or just before 160 if you are worried about carry over cooking. But with the brine.. those puppies will still be juicy at an I.T. of 180. lol

Direct grilling is a great way to do chicken also. But you need to stay close in case of flare ups and not let anything burn up too bad.

Regards,

Kevin

Exactly what Toymaster said, except, put the charcoal on the right and the chicken on the left. Trust me on this one.

Matt

Mexican Roadside Chicken

Adapted from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless

DSCF0127.jpg

Picture by Bludawg

Ingredients

1 1/2 teaspoons ground ancho chile powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano, preferably Mexican
A big pinch of ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped or crushed through a garlic press
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh orange juice
1 teaspoon Kosher salt, plus a little more for the onions

1 large chicken, about 3 lbs, butterflied
2 large bunches of green onions or knob onions
A little olive oil for brushing the onions
Grilled tomatillo salsa, for serving
Procedure

1. Light a chimney 3/4 full of charcoal. While the charcoal is lighting, mix chile powder, oregano, cloves, cinnamon, garlic, vinegar, orange juice, and 1 teaspoon of slat together in a small bowl.

2. When the charcoal is fully lit and covered in gray ash, pour coals out and arrange them on one side of the charcoal grate, keeping the other side empty. Place the chicken over the cool side of the grill, skin side down, and brush exposed side with the wet rub. Flip the chicken over and brush the other side with the rub. Cover the grill and cook, basting occasionally with any remaining rub, at 350 degrees until an instant read thermometer reads 165 degrees when inserted into the thickest part of the breast, about 45 minutes. Remove the chicken from the grill and allow to rest for 10 to 15 minutes.

3. While the chicken is resting, brush the onions with olive oil and season with salt. Place the onions over the hot side of the grill and cook until tender and browned, about 5 minutes per side.

4. To serve, cut the chicken into quarters, top with green onions and tomatillo salsa

Ive seen rick on pbs a few times and liked the show. Gonna have to try that.

And yes rick is the brother of espns talking head skip.

Back