Moving question.

SD_Smoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, the time has finally come and I will be moving out to Idaho. I have a moving company coming to move all our stuff (in a 53' trailer) and I wanted to see what you guys thought I should do.

I have the Lang, 2 WSM's and my Weber grill. We are only going to be towing a 5x8 trailer with limited space so the cookers have to go in the big truck. Should I worry? Should I do anything prep wise for them? I just want them to arrive safe and sound.

Thank you for any input or experiences you have had!

I would suggest any items of real value should be transported by you separately. Guns, coins, jewelry. I would also suggest prior to packing, take pictures / movies of everything. Also, take pictures of after pictures of the rooms to indicate what was moved. Try and include macro pictures of serial numbers of electronic equipment. Once all of these photos have been collected, burn a few copies on CD's for record keeping. Good luck and have a safe journey.

I would suggest any items of real value should be transported by you separately. Guns, coins, jewelry. I would also suggest prior to packing, take pictures / movies of everything. Also, take pictures of after pictures of the rooms to indicate what was moved. Try and include macro pictures of serial numbers of electronic equipment. Once all of these photos have been collected, burn a few copies on CD's for record keeping. Good luck and have a safe journey.

I agree! Maybe ask a friend to come along that can take the cookers separately too.

I just moved last week and the movers did great with all my smokers. If it's a professional moving company, they have moved everything you can think of and know how to pack it. It will be fine.

I'm sure I am over thinking it as this is the first out of state move I have ever done but it is a professional moving company so one would hope they know what they're doing. I will definitely document everything top to bottom.

Thank you for the info and thoughts!

I'm sure I am over thinking it as this is the first out of state move I have ever done but it is a professional moving company so one would hope they know what they're doing. I will definitely document everything top to bottom.

Thank you for the info and thoughts!

The workers for these national moving companies at times are not so professional. My parents were robbed by one of these outfits that my parents believed to be safe.
Good luck and safe travels.

Good luck in your new life!
I just worked for someone who moved, and their hand truck
fell too hard over their slate walk - it broke a corner off of the top step.
Happened to my wife's client, too.
They gouged the wood floor by dragging something.
I think the guys were great when I saw them work,
but I left at 12 - it was a hot day - they were probably tired-
give the guys drinks and pizza - they will love you!
And actually be there, watching.

Just an update, we made it out here no problem! All of our stuff showed up in tip top shape and the movers/driver were top notch! The only loss I suffered was losing the outside drip pan for my 22" WSM but I can get a new one easy.

Now the hard part...finding a wood source. I've found a few craigslist ads and it seems fruit wood is the popular thing out here. I'll be picking up a 1/4 chord of apple and cherry today.

I would let the movers do it They may not be able to do the Lang. They will not do charcoal, wood, or propane

Back