Smoked Cole Slaw

Chezmatt

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Like many of the Brethren, I spent my father's day weekend cooking meat over fire. But, along with my buddy Fred, I also embarked on a new dish - smoked coleslaw.

We started off with a smoked-cabbage technique courtesy of Konrad Haskins. To make the smoked cabbage, core a head of cabbage, pour 1 tbsp of brown sugar and 1 tbsp of your favorite rub into it, and then pour in a mixture of two parts olive oil to one part apple cider vinegar. The cabbage will drink up the mixture, so keep pouring it in until the level stays steady. Put that on the smoker (with a foil base so it doesn't tip over) and let it go for 3 hours or so.

Once the cabbage is good and smoked, take it off, throw away the blackened outer leaves, and then shred it. It's delicious as is, but we then took it further by making slaw.

We added a sliced up red onion, some shredded carrots, and a dressing of mayonnaise and apple-cider vinegar. We put that in the fridge while we finished the meat (brisket and shoulder). The cole slaw came out amazing. It was great on its own, but really amazing on a sandwich with the pork shoulder.

If you've got the smoker going, try throwing a head of cabbage on there. You won't regret it. And if, God forbid, a vegetarian should get lost and end up at your barbecue, you'll have something to feed her.

Interesting idea and sounds really tasty.

I agree you method is stellar. I tried the core the cabbage pour in rub and a stick of butter but that was better for just eating the cabbage as a side... or for vegetarians.... the vinegar trick is better for smoked slaw.

I also used to smoke just the white heads, peel off the black leaves, chill down overnight, shread with equal amounts of red cabbage and then mix. I did the other way around too (smoked the red) It was better.

I agree you method is stellar. I tried the core the cabbage pour in rub and a stick of butter but that was better for just eating the cabbage as a side... or for vegetarians.... the vinegar trick is better for smoked slaw.

I also used to smoke just the white heads, peel off the black leaves, chill down overnight, shread with equal amounts of red cabbage and then mix. I did the other way around too (smoked the red) It was better.

I'll have to try it with red cabbage. Does the color survive the smoking process?

Ohhhh . . . I need to create a 'list' of to-do's, and add it as well. Now I'm wondering how "smoked-kraut" would taste. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Ohhhh . . . I need to create a 'list' of to-do's, and add it as well. Now I'm wondering how "smoked-kraut" would taste. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Smoked kraut sounds fantastic. I'll have to try that.

Also, I realized that I forgot to mention seasoning the slaw. I don't remember exactly what we put in there, because I was making salsa simultaneously. I'm sure we added salt and pepper. As usual, just season to taste.

I have to be honest.....when I saw "smoked cole slaw" I didn't think it sounded good at all.

THIS, however, sounds really good. Smoking the cabbage and THEN making the slaw....:clap2:

Does the cabbage get really soft on the smoker? I like my slaw to have some crunch to it.

Does the cabbage get really soft on the smoker? I like my slaw to have some crunch to it.

Surprisingly, it doesn't. We initially thought it would, so we planned to mix it 50/50 with fresh cabbage. But, once we pulled and discarded the outer leaves, the rest of the cabbage was still crisp enough that we didn't bother. Once it chilled in the fridge, it basically had the consistency of regular slaw.

Another idea that we discussed, but didn't get around to implementing (it was 101 degrees, and some beers were involved), was to add fresh, julienned green apple to the slaw. We didn't try it, but I think it would go great with pork. It would also add some crispness.

We always add Green Apples to our slaw. I have never tried to smoke it. My wife is not a huge fan of smoke. So I don't usually get to smoke more than just the meat.

-Jeep

Like many of the Brethren, I spent my father's day weekend cooking meat over fire. But, along with my buddy Fred, I also embarked on a new dish - smoked coleslaw.

We started off with a smoked-cabbage technique courtesy of Konrad Haskins. To make the smoked cabbage, core a head of cabbage, pour 1 tbsp of brown sugar and 1 tbsp of your favorite rub into it, and then pour in a mixture of two parts olive oil to one part apple cider vinegar. The cabbage will drink up the mixture, so keep pouring it in until the level stays steady. Put that on the smoker (with a foil base so it doesn't tip over) and let it go for 3 hours or so.

Once the cabbage is good and smoked, take it off, throw away the blackened outer leaves, and then shred it. It's delicious as is, but we then took it further by making slaw.

We added a sliced up red onion, some shredded carrots, and a dressing of mayonnaise and apple-cider vinegar. We put that in the fridge while we finished the meat (brisket and shoulder). The cole slaw came out amazing. It was great on its own, but really amazing on a sandwich with the pork shoulder.

If you've got the smoker going, try throwing a head of cabbage on there. You won't regret it. And if, God forbid, a vegetarian should get lost and end up at your barbecue, you'll have something to feed her.

I smoked up some cabbage last night and will be making a slaw with it today.

interesting, I may try this. Thanks for sharing.

How long and at what temp did you smoke the cabbage. I love cabbage so I will try this! Love red cabbage too!

Back