Undercooked Chicken?

GT-Q

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
We got a 5 on chicken legs with a comment card stating the chicken was raw. The rest of the scores were mostly 8s with a few 9s and 7s. It wasn't our best box ever and I know this ended up being the drop score, but it still has me wondering. Every piece we put in the box temped with a thermapen at 172F or higher. In my opinion it is impossible that this was actually raw. So what could the judge have possibly gotten that made them think it was raw?

Raw chicken should have scored a 2, NOT a 5! Any time that I've seen undercooked chicken judged in the tent, it has ALWAYS involved the REPs AND the napkin test. And YES, I have seen it happen where one piece in the box was undercooked while all the others were cooked right. Can't explain your temp issue unless you were going very quickly and the temp didn't have a chance to drop from the previous piece.

Judges are supposed to bring "raw" chicken to the table captain's attention who will get the rep and if it is "raw" or undercooked the judge is supposed to be given a choice of eating it and scoring it or giving it 2 for inedible. They are supposed to use a paper towel to check to see if the juices are clear or pink.

Smoked chicken can be pink or even red near the bone but still be fully cooked. Maybe they saw that?

Could it be that it was pink, tender and juicy and an inexperienced judge?

I turned in a box of chicken once, that had the oddity of each thigh being perfectly cooked on one side, and raw on the other. I had cooked fast in a UDS, and the heat in the core of the cooker resulted in uneven cooking.

We temped the thighs, but, somehow always temped the cooked side. After turn-ins, I was hungry and ate one of the rejects, and realized the error. All 6 of the rejects had the same raw (and I mean, raw) chicken on one side.

Could it be that it was pink, tender and juicy and an inexperienced judge?

Did you brine the chicken, if so, it tends to leave the bone area slightly pink on just done chicken and yes it can be misinterpreted as raw chicken by a judge.

Back