First Picnic Shoulder

Phat Boy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Picnic shoulders are on sale at my parents local HEB so they grabbed me a couple. They are only 5 lb and 6.5 lb. With the freezer being occupied by about 25 lbs of sausage, I have the perfect excuse to smoke one of these bad boys up. I plan to start the UDS at 275 around midnight and run it like a butt and hopefully have it for lunchtime tomorrow. Any bretherenly advice?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 112
I dusted it exactly like a butt and vacuumed sealed around 4:00 this afternoon.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 112
I always score the skin/fat cap to the muscle... Then cook like any other low n slow que

I decided to leave the skin on and not score it. The pic was taken at about 8 hrs into the smoke, just before wrapping with foil. Another 3 hrs and it probed like butter. It's now resting while sauce is simmering on the stove.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 66
So you should be enjoying some tasty meat candy right about now. How did it turn out? Pics please.

After about 3 hours I check mine once an hour and spritz it with a 1:1 mix of Apple juice and EVO. I put a lot of scoring on the fat cap because it gets removed before shredding and I want to get the rub down to the meat as much as possible.

After about an hour rest time, here's the finished product.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 54
Back