Which techniques did you inherit?

Yendor

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
In the "Bbq chicken: the midwests regional bbq dish" thread people are talking about what they remembered as a kid, "KBB, Lighter fluid and heaps of sauce". With that being said, I know a lot of people here has evolved from what they saw their elders do.

Are there any techniques that you have kept that your mother/father/pawpaw or whoever you saw cooking taught you or you just observed?

For me, I think I've pretty much thrown away everything I saw my pops do. He cooked some pork chops for me last year (I see him about every 2 years) and about drove me nuts. The meat never sat on the gasser for more than 30 seconds as he constantly moved it. In my younger days I remember the round open type grill he used. Hot, fast, burnt Kraft BBQ sauce smothered stuff.

I think my pops would view my cooking techniques as crazy!

Lawreys Seasoning Salt. I remember being really little going into a store and a lady in a booth was giving away ritz crackers topped with cottage cheese seasoned with Lawreys. We always have it in the kitchen. It's a common way for me to test new rubs to this day.

As a kid my dad cooked on a K-mart special round charcoal grill. Always used Kingsford and lighter fluid, he would let it burn at least 1/2 hour to burn off the lighter fluid. Once the meat went on he only turned it once. Chicken was sauced at the end or not at all, steaks were cooked to medium rare and the Ranch Burgers were to die for. Also stuffed green chili steak burgers were a real treat.

Ranch Burgers: 6 to 8 oz ground chuck patty topped with a slice of virginia smoked ham with a slice of velveeta cheese on top and the whole thing wrapped with a strip of bacon.
(The ham and velveeta went on after the flip.

Green chili steak burgers : 2 - 8 oz chopped chuck patties (mom coarse chopped her own chuck roast) patted out thin, then fire roasted green chilis diced onion and shredded Jack cheese went on one patty then the other patty went on top and the edges sealed.

Can't believe we ate Velveeta but it sure tasted good on grilled burgers.

After I became a teen and we had a little more money so the folks got a Char Broil propane grill, we thought we were living large. The cooks were good but never as good as the charcoal.

Spritzing as you cook. Back then, on those large round charcoal grill, you spritz to control the flame and to keep the meat from drying out.

Salt cured ham, boiled 20 minutes per pound. Sliced paper thin and put on a lard and flour biscuit. Slab bacon left out on the kitchen counter. Sliced thick for breakfast, cut in chunks for seasoning greens. Chicken dropped in a paper sack with flour salt & pepper, fried in a cast iron skillet with whatever grease was in the coffee can. Pan fish dropped in a deep fryer fueled by hardwood with real hush puppies. Man, am I hungry.

Nuttin, my Dad thinks he's set the world on fire when he makes fried bologna sandwiches :becky: now if we smoke him some bologna and take it to him he thinks he's died and gone to heaven!

I remember my uncle using Italian dressing to marinate and mop the majority orfor his food with other than bbq of course. All bbq was eastern nc style vinegar based

At my place growing up a Bbq meant grilling. My Dad was a great cook. He knew how to treat proteins so we never had an issue with dry food from him. He was neat always presented food well. I try to do the same when I serve guests although I don't think I'm as good yet. Learning the art of smoking from this forum it's been great!

My mom did all the cooking at home and she taught me comfort food all the way. As far as grilling only saw that at family parties. Taught me my love for beef jerky since that's how dry the chicken always was. Since I was about 15 they left me in charge of all grilling at parties.

My uncle and grandpa both have had the same stick burner as me for 20 years. They throw in a fire box full of wood, use lighter fluid (one time several years ago I was told diesel :puke:) to light the fire and burn it for 30 to 45 minutes, then put on meat. I did my first few cooks this way (lighter fluid only) and the Q turned out alright. I moved on to small fires and no chemicals after consulting with others and made better Q.

My dad would sauce everything including hotdogs and burgers) on the grill which I liked but I stopped after my first 10 or so cooks, realizing that good seasoning was all that was needed

Nuttin, my Dad thinks he's set the world on fire when he makes fried bologna sandwiches :becky: now if we smoke him some bologna and take it to him he thinks he's died and gone to heaven!

Not sure why but this made me laugh
..that's awesome

Not too much from my folks even though my Mom owned a restaurant. My older brother had a girlfriend in Texas who taught me how to do chicken on a grill indirect. From there I graduated to a Weber kettle and then an egg.

^^^what we called bbq was just grilling too. I didn't really know what bbq was until a couple years ago. We had a charcoal el cheapo and I'm sure a propane grill later on. To be truthful, I don't really remember much of what came off of them, but was probably over cooked and under seasoned. I've been grilling for years and consider myself quite good on a gasser. You farkers got me on to charcoal now, so I'm learning again and that's fun. But I guess what I've taken away from Dad's q'ing is to have more respect for the meat and not cook it into a dry piece of shoe leather.

Back