Which techniques did you inherit?

"For me, I think I've pretty much thrown away everything I saw my pops do. He cooked some pork chops for me last year (I see him about every 2 years) and about drove me nuts. The meat never sat on the gasser for more than 30 seconds as he constantly moved it. In my younger days I remember the round open type grill he used. Hot, fast, burnt Kraft BBQ sauce smothered stuff."

Yendor we must be brothers. My parents were from MN and there is NO technique from either on grilling (much less bbq). Everything cooked(?) on shallow- depth round grill, lots of charcoal started with lighter fluid, and not really edible. I was conditioned to believing lighter fluid was a flavor enhancer. Looking back, it was an excuse to not cook inside a hot house in the summertime, not some special experience.
I am, self taught...with the help of the Brethren...

Yendor we must be brothers. My parents were from MN and there is NO technique from either on grilling (much less bbq). Everything cooked(?) on shallow- depth round grill, lots of charcoal started with lighter fluid, and not really edible. I was conditioned to believing lighter fluid was a flavor enhancer. Looking back, it was an excuse to not cook inside a hot house in the summertime, not some special experience.
I am, self taught...with the help of the Brethren...
That's the thing, I was born in Texas. My parents were born in Texas. My pops should know better!

I learned how to make Hamburger Helper from my dad, and how to oversalt EVERYTHING from my mom!

This is a great thread, thanks OP for starting it and to everyone for sharing the memories! Brethren indeed!

my mom loved cooking a big meal for everyone and watching them enjoy it I'm just like her. my dad is 86 when tomatoes ripen in the garden he'll eat tomato sandwiches breakfast lunch and dinner til fall and when you think he can eat no more he'll load up the garage with green tomatoes and try to make them last. I love garden tomatoes. neither one could grill, smoke or bbq of any kind they really did like it.

Mom could cook, when she wanted to. Dad's steaks were always grey and well done. I learned how NOT to cook. 99% of my outdoor cooking has been learned here. I cooked for my dad's 70th birthday party. I did chicken and TT. I was chatting with my dad after dinner. My uncle comes up, pats my dad on the back and says, "You did a good job of teaching your boy how to que!" Dad replies, "I didn't teach him how to do any of this, I don't know how to do it!"

Matt

Back