Festival Vending Question

mjljr13

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals.
I've been asked to be a vendor for a local festival and I had a few questions.....There will be 5 vendors including myself....Vendors will be serving festival food (corn dogs funnel cakes etc), hamburgers / hotdogs, a chicken dish, pizza, grilled chicken sandwiches, and I will be doing BBQ sandwiches. There will be a separate drink vendor. This festival is from 10-4 and the weather looks like it will be sunny and 90...The average amount of festival goers has been around 500 people and they are excepting more this year. I've done caterings before and have done well with how much meat to cook....but this is different I have NO idea how many people I should expect...or how many butts to cook or buns too get....I don't want to be stuck with a ton of extra meat! Thanks its much appreciated!!!

Expect to sell to 10% of the estimated crowd at a normal festival. With 5 food vendors for 500 people I would not expect to sell to more than 30-50 people.

What HBMTN said ^^^^.

We've recently done a few festivals and it is pretty safe to conclude that with multiple vendors you're going to sell to about 10% of the crowd.

The rule of thumb we always use is take the number of people the organizer tells you were there last year, divide that in half, and then divide that number by however many vendors there are. So in your case the number would be 25 servings.

That's a lot of vendors for what the promoter says will be 500 people. I would suggest that if you just want to see what's it's like to be a vendor, go with the 10% and round down. If you want to make any money, forget it.

There are so many factors that affect your sales and attendance vs. number of vendors is just one of them. For example, we sell much more at an event that has admission than we do free events. Some events ribs won't sell, others we sell out all we bring. And one day events are a lot of work. You have to set up, take down, and clean up all in one day.

But the real "red light" is: they asked you. Events worth doing are difficult to get in to. The biggest, most profitable event around here is the Gilroy garlic festival. It's a 3 day festival with over 100k paying $20 admission. Last I heard the waiting list was expected to be 8 years.

The rule of thumb we always use is take the number of people the organizer tells you were there last year, divide that in half, and then divide that number by however many vendors there are. So in your case the number would be 25 servings.

That's an interesting formula. One that I think to be Dead A$$ On for mjljr13's situation. Going to see how that works out on other in the future. I like it!

Thanks, it's all put on by the church is why I was asked to do it..they've had me do several relay for life events and other events...this is the first time they've asked me to do this..looks like I better not cook alot of pork and bring a deck of cards!!! maybe a few busch lights!

Thanks, it's all put on by the church is why I was asked to do it..they've had me do several relay for life events and other events...this is the first time they've asked me to do this..looks like I better not cook alot of pork and bring a deck of cards!!! maybe a few busch lights!

If that is the case you could offer 16oz tubs of BBQ for take home and maybe even though some will eat at other vendors while there they may buy a tub and barbecue from you for dinner later that evening.

If that is the case you could offer 16oz tubs of BBQ for take home and maybe even though some will eat at other vendors while there they may buy a tub and barbecue from you for dinner later that evening.

Exactly what is a tube of bbq?? lol...i have had several requests for a lb or 2....but I vacuum seal them....nnot sure what uu mean by a tube..

That's an interesting formula. One that I think to be Dead A$$ On for mjljr13's situation. Going to see how that works out on other in the future. I like it!

It's a formula I learned here from other brethren, and it's worked pretty much every time we've vended, but we usually don't do crazy large events either.

Exactly what is a tube of bbq?? lol...i have had several requests for a lb or 2....but I vacuum seal them....nnot sure what uu mean by a tube..

Not sure where you are reading tubes, I posted tubs as in 16oz container of pork like a deli container.

You've heard some truth here: with rare exception, promoters will always inflate their attendance and book too many food vendors.

I'll bet the church is selling the drinks themselves. (Because that is where the profit is!)
Go into it as a public relations gig where you expect to spend more than you get back. Otherwise you're going to be disappointed.

Back