THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dwfisk

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Dave
Monday 8/18, north Florida to Birmingham via Tifton & Columbus (anywhere good for lunch around there?)
Tuesday 8/19 Birmingham (lunch) & Huntsville (dinner), open to any suggestions.
Wednesday 8/20 huntsville to Memphis (probably stop in Decatur at Big Bob Gibson's for lunch).
Wednesday 8/20 & Thursday 8/21 in Memphis (I'll definitely hit Gus's and would like to try Central for lunches but open to anny dinner suggestions)
Friday 8/22, headed home to north Florida via Montgomery-Dothan-Tallahassee.

Any and all suggestions (not limited to Q) welocme.

Thanks in advance:thumb:

On the way home...

Webbs 231 BBQ at mile marker 31 North of Dothan.

A "Hole in the Wall" joint in the country with seating for about 12 (or so) that makes some real deal BBQ.

TIM

Johnny's BBQ in Cullman AL is all I got...

Kind of out of the way, though. Have to make a detour South either on US 31 or I 65 which will add an extra hour or so to the trip. Bob Gibson's is best when allowed to sit in the fridge overnight to allow the smoke to develop. Otherwise it's kind of bland. Ask them if you can get a bottle of their vinegar sauce though. They don't exactly sell it, but... All it is is vinegar, cayenne, a little salt and a taste of lemon. Excellent stuff. Do NOT try the ribs there.

Lunch Day 1

We found this little spot in Phenix City, AL (spelling correct) just across the river from Columbus, GA. I had a combo plate of smoked turkey & pork with beans and slaw, my wife had a smoked turkey sandwich. It was surprisingly good, at least a B to B+. The meat was tasty and moist, beans were particularly good and it is pretty hard to screw up white bread. Had an interesting vinegar-peppers-mustard sauce, OK but not my favorite. Not a place I would go out of my way to visit, but certainly worth a stop if you are passing by.

image_zps6d305bdb.jpg

image_zps3e44a3f4.jpg

EDIT, can't figure out why the pics are not visible from photobucket; name of the spot is "Hog Rock BBQ"

Dinner Day 1, Birmingham

Found a great ittle spot in downtown just a 4 block walk from the hotel we are staying at in UAB medical district. The Fish Market Southside is a 45 year old greek-seafood spot. I had some blue point oysters and cioppino; my wife had a saute of shrimp & peppers over risotto, both served with a greek salad. Excellent :thumb: and very modest pricing.

Day 2 Lunch, Cullman AL

The same Johnny's suggested by mytmouz on the way up from Birmingham to Huntsville. It was pretty dang good and been there since the mid-60's. When we got there at 11:45 you cound smell the smokers and the parking lot was full of pickups, utility trucks & a couple fire/EMT trucks - that's a pretty good sign.

I got a pulled pork sammich plate and my wife got a small pulled pork plate. The pork was great; a very coarse pull with some pretty large chunks and a nice share of bark. The sammich was plated with slaw & sauce on a toasted bun; the sauce was a little sweet for me, but good. The sides, well MEH is to generous but the sammich was really plenty. I'll give it a solid "B".

image_zpsef1f76f9.jpg

image_zps21bff5ba.jpg

Last edited:
Day 3 Lunch, Decatur, AL

Yep, had the turkey with beans and collard greens. Been looking forward to it since I had their turkey on the last visit. I don't know how they do it (wish I did) but it is perfectly cooked, very moist and tastes like turkey with just a hint of smoke. I've had the pork also and it is really good, folks say to avoid the ribs but based on the turkey, solid A to A+ in my book. They had their sauces on the table; they are all 1st place award winners and good enough for me to take home and share with my boys. They also had a vinegar & hot cayenne pepper sauce on the table (not for sale) that is really good and was great on the greens.

image_zpsb7eed0dd.jpg

image_zpsabc43786.jpg

image_zps6a78a34d.jpg

Last edited:
Dang Dave! TOLD ya to ask for a little go with on the vinegar sauce. They gave us almost a pint last time we got takeout. Course, we DID get 4 pounds of meat...
Oh, and that turkey, it gets better after 24 hours in the fridge too. The smoke really comes on if you let it develop. It's the last stop we make before getting on alternate 72 and we really don't even need a cooler (Almost) since it's less than four hours to our house from Gibson's.

Last edited:
No Q for dinner, went to a spot on south main in Memphis called South of Beale and had some extraordinary seared diver scallops and parmesan risoto.

image_zps8363f9de.jpg

Back on the Q hunt today.

If you're tired of Q by the time you get back towards Montgomery, there is a Mellow Mushroom Pizza at the last Prattville exit. It's on the west side of town past all the hub-bub, on the south side of the main road. It's very good pizza and the beer selection is endless.
When we go towards the beach we make it a point to be there around lunch, if not going down, coming back for sure.

Back