Not your average Bandera

Adubree86

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I found this on Craigslist. I'm going to be picking it up tomorrow. This is one of the Southwest Smokers. The entire thing is 1/8" steel. All welded construction. Not bolted together like the NB. Already has a built in deflection plate in the bottom. It needs a little clean up but should give me some nice Q. Plan to take a wire wheel to the inside and the a nice bath of crisco and bacon fat for a seasoning. I'm very excited as this will be my first stickburner.

I can't stand folks that are to lazy to clean out the FB after a cook then they wonder why the bottom rusts out:crazy:

I can't stand folks that are to lazy to clean out the FB after a cook then they wonder why the bottom rusts out:crazy:

I hear ya. The bottom is in pretty good shape. May tack in a piece of 1/4" steel in the bottom.

Congrats on the find, post pics after you get her home and cleaned up.

Good for you! You are going to love stick burning!

Jack

That should work just fine, congrats on you!
I agree with blu, the lazy SOB should have, at the very least, cleaned her up for the "big show". She's in good hands now. :thumb:

Picked up a truck load of oak for free tonight. Needs seasoned though. But look out summer of 2018. I'll be loaded up.

Last edited:
Nice score. I saw this one on CL and wondered if it might be a Southwest Smoker. I love mine. I does have some interesting differences from mine. That smoke stack on the fire box is intriguing. Wonder if it can be used to let out a bit of heat before it gets to smoke box. Well done sir.

Nice score. I saw this one on CL and wondered if it might be a Southwest Smoker. I love mine. I does have some interesting differences from mine. That smoke stack on the fire box is intriguing. Wonder if it can be used to let out a bit of heat before it gets to smoke box. Well done sir.

The smoker box stack was added after the fact. Not sure what it was used for. Do you burn sticks in yours or lump and chunks? Maybe we can drink a few beers together and you can teach me the way of this cooker.

Well unfortunately a few things came up and I won't be able to pick up tonight. Looks like it might be a weekend pick up.

She's loaded up in good hands and on the way home. Well worth the hr drive. All the rust is surface that will clean up easy.

Last edited:
Mine may be one of those.? Anyhows here's my baffle I did when I patched mine up - I like running water pan/catch pan.

Last edited:
Back