Swamp Boys BBQ Sauce ?????

IamMadMan

somebody shut me the fark up.
I always sample new sauces and rubs from time to time.

I've seen some distributors carry "Swamp Boys" BBQ sauce, but they all lack any type of a real product/taste descriptor........ In fact it makes no sense the way it is written...

"With strong flavor influences from the old South, and even a hint of Southwest and Midwest tastes, Rub thinks you will find this to be the perfect compliment for your"

Has anyone used these (Original or Red Vinegar) and give some type of a flavor profile?

If you have used them how do they compare to Blue's Hog?

If anyone has any input on these two products, I'd appreciate it.. I want to make sure it may fit my taste likes before I think about buying them.

I use Swamp Boys Original sauce and the new rub all the time but do not like the red sauce , I just do not like the heavy vinegar thing . the original sauce is very thin and has a light smoky flavor and is opposite of the Blue Hogs whitch is thicker snd very fruity . it is probabaly in my top 5 sauces that I have gone back to for years now .

I have used it, abused it and won money with it. The original is a great all around sauce, I have put it on ribs, chicken, pulled pork, in my beans, on sandwiches, you name it. It is a tough description to give but I will try, mollasses, brown sugar carefully blended in a tomato base with spices and I am guessing worchestershire sauce. combine that with Southern roots and a sauce that will fit into the midwest and central region and you have it,,lol,, sorry,, had to add that. It is a great sauce and it has won alot of money for many teams.
The red is a vinegar red sauce. It is a nice sauce, I have used it on my chicken and pork at home, as well as in my coleslaw and visitors really like it. I have never used it in comps but I am sure Rub will chime in and fill in the gaps.
They are both great sauces, I probably have a case on hand at all times as it is really a great go to sauce, and I will add from a great guy that is always there and willing to help you if you need it.
I have not tried it with his rub that has recently been released but the next time I am shopping I will be adding that to the list.

Pretty much what BBQ Freak said. Thin sauce compared to most of the other ones on the market. I thought BH was the pinnacle of bbq sauces until I tried Swamp Boys. I keep one jar in the fridge and 3 in the cabinet at all times.

It it well balanced and not as spicy imo than BH. It doesn't have the large spice pieces like BH. It was definitely taylored from Rub's competition background. Totally balanced, true bbq flavor. Really hard to describe it, but I think if you picked up a bottle you would love it. Everyone I have ever tried it raved about it.

I have never tried the Bootleg Red so no help on that one.

I would say that Swamp Boys Original is a lot like mixing Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red 50/50 maybe even 40/60, it doesn't taste exactly like that but that is what it reminds me of, it's very good. Swamp Boys Original and Tennessee Red are my 2 favorite sauces, I like the thinner more vinegar based sauces, Swamp Boys Original is slightly sweeter and thicker than Tenn Red.

Bootleg Red is really to thin and vinegary for me to consider it a BBQ Sauce, it's nothing like Tenn Red IMO. I did mix it with Blues Hog Original which is to thick and sweet for my liking and it's fantastic just as good if not better than mixing Blues Hog Orig and Tenn Red.

I will always make sure I have a jar of both the Tennessee Red and Swamp Boys Original not to mix as they are great each on their own. My wife likes thicker sweeter so to each his/her own.

I'm pretty stocked up on Rubs right now but I'm looking forward to trying Swamp Boys Rub in the future.

Thanks for all the input guys, I just ordered some of each.

I have used it, abused it and won money with it. The original is a great all around sauce, I have put it on ribs, chicken, pulled pork, in my beans, on sandwiches, you name it.

The red is a vinegar red sauce. It is a nice sauce, I have used it on my chicken and pork at home, as well as in my coleslaw and visitors really like it.

Interested in how you put it in your coleslaw?

I have made Guerry's Slaw, and was actually thinking if it is a thin vinegary sauce maybe try using that in place of the vinegar? Have to try that now that I ordered it.

I would say that Swamp Boys Original is a lot like mixing Blues Hog Original and Tennessee Red 50/50 maybe even 40/60, it doesn't taste exactly like that but that is what it reminds me of, it's very good. Swamp Boys Original and Tennessee Red are my 2 favorite sauces, I like the thinner more vinegar based sauces, Swamp Boys Original is slightly sweeter and thicker than Tenn Red.

Bootleg Red is really to thin and vinegary for me to consider it a BBQ Sauce, it's nothing like Tenn Red IMO. I did mix it with Blues Hog Original which is to thick and sweet for my liking and it's fantastic just as good if not better than mixing Blues Hog Orig and Tenn Red.

Sounds like it it what I was looking for in terms of flavors... I like a mixture by weight of 55% Blues Hog, 35% Tennessee Red, and 10% Head Country

I've really struggled with finding a new sauce that I liked as much as the Purple Pork Masters Competition Sauce. Was so sad to see that product go.... There was talk that they would do a production run a few years back, but that fell through.

Also looks like I need to try the rub as well, I really like the color it imparts...

The Original is similar, but different, to Blues Hog, personally I love it, it's a great sauce, IMHO! The "Red" is nothing special, basically just tomato and vinegar, I much prefer Myron's Basic BBQ sauce that's like this but with much more flavour.

Last edited:
I have some, and like it. the Blues Hog 50/50 is a little on the sweet side to use with stuff like Chicken. I really like the Original from these guys. If I need to cut it with something, I will leverage Yes Dear or the Swamp Boys Red.

The Red is very very thin and full of vinegar. Give it a shot, the Original is pretty damn good straight.

IamMadMan,
I add it in my slaw in place of vinegar. I have messed a little with how much I used but I usually make a fair size batch depending on the size of cabbage available and if I remember correctly last time I had 2 medium size heads shredded and I added about a cup.
I am not much of a recipe person and just add until it tastes good. Start light, I find it much easier to add some more than too remove it :doh:

I have used it, abused it and won money with it. The original is a great all around sauce, I have put it on ribs, chicken, pulled pork, in my beans, on sandwiches, you name it. It is a tough description to give but I will try, mollasses, brown sugar carefully blended in a tomato base with spices and I am guessing worchestershire sauce. combine that with Southern roots and a sauce that will fit into the midwest and central region and you have it,,lol,, sorry,, had to add that. It is a great sauce and it has won alot of money for many teams.
The red is a vinegar red sauce. It is a nice sauce, I have used it on my chicken and pork at home, as well as in my coleslaw and visitors really like it. I have never used it in comps but I am sure Rub will chime in and fill in the gaps.
They are both great sauces, I probably have a case on hand at all times as it is really a great go to sauce, and I will add from a great guy that is always there and willing to help you if you need it.
I have not tried it with his rub that has recently been released but the next time I am shopping I will be adding that to the list.

Do you think there would be a difference in taste if it were recklessly blended in the tomato base?

I always sample new sauces and rubs from time to time.

I've seen some distributors carry "Swamp Boys" BBQ sauce, but they all lack any type of a real product/taste descriptor........ In fact it makes no sense the way it is written...

"With strong flavor influences from the old South, and even a hint of Southwest and Midwest tastes, Rub thinks you will find this to be the perfect compliment for your"

Has anyone used these (Original or Red Vinegar) and give some type of a flavor profile?

If you have used them how do they compare to Blue's Hog?

If anyone has any input on these two products, I'd appreciate it.. I want to make sure it may fit my taste likes before I think about buying them.

Ive tasted both.
First about the vinegard. I could compare it with the blueshog vinegard based and blueshog wins.
About the original is really light n flavour and spucy and do not overhelm rub and pork flavour wich is the most important thing to me.
If not I could eat my bbq sauce with a spoon and stop smoking meat to use as a spoon.
The swamp original is much more light than the blueshog.
Less less sweet and just 1 less spicy.

I haven't tried the bootleg red, but the Original is awesome. I like to say it is a "less viscous" version of blueshog that has a more even flavor (adding some boldness) and isn't overly sweet. I know others didn't mean it like this, but don't like the term "thin" because that makes it sound like it might have a "thinned" out flavor which it certainly does not so I choose "less viscous". Really well balanced and great straight out of the jar with no cutting necessary, even though I have of course played with cutting it too :-D.

For comps it puts a damn perfect shine on anything it touches or just messing around at home.

I've really struggled with finding a new sauce that I liked as much as the Purple Pork Masters Competition Sauce. Was so sad to see that product go.... There was talk that they would do a production run a few years back, but that fell through.

When i look on-line at sauces, I am overwhelmed with the many available, I do not know what to try first.

Again I thank everybody for the responses, and I look forward to the arrival of the sauce tomorrow. Going to use it on ribs and cupcake chicken over the weekend.

When i look on-line at sauces, I am overwhelmed with the many available, I do not know what to try first.

Take your time and review the ingredient list, this will give you a slight hint on what to expect for taste. There is also a sauce reviews thread in the trading post forum if that will help you decide what to try first. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14889

We used Swamp Boys Original in a comp with our chicken for the first time. We've always sucked in chicken, previously we used Blues Hog Original cut with either TR or Apple Juice. First time using Swamp Boys Original we placed 9th out of 65 teams. And we didn't change anything else.

I agree with everyone, it's "thinner" and more well rounded than the "new" BH original. I'd say Swamp Boys is also less sweet, but it kinda tastes more sweet since it doesn't have that spicy/salty back-end that BH has. If that makes sense. It also has more vinegary notes than BH.

All this applies to the "new" Blues Hog, I think the older one was less spicy/salty and was closer to Swamp Boys in terms of flavor.

I don't know if that was a fluke with our chicken, we'll see in a few weeks, going to use the Swamp Boys again for sure :)

Back