***Important: Pending Changes to the Throwdowns****

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Well that got your attention, didn't it?

:mrgreen:

1. Throwdown Duration:

Shagdog and I have been thinking a lot about the current Throwdown format, specifically the weekly TD's. One complaint over the years that has been consistent is that the weekly format is too short, and doesn't give folks enough time to plan or prep their entries. Moving FW, starting in July, we are going to change the weekly TD's to bi-weekly, or two every month if you prefer to look at it that way. Nothing will change other than that, and the monthly Special TD's will continue as they have.

2. What Happened to the Off-Topic/Whackadoodle-thread?

Some of you may have noticed about a month ago, I stopped posting the off topic thread. I noticed the past few times I did that there were only a few regulars making whackadoodlry of sorts, and just thought I would stop them for a while to see what happens. Other than a single PM from a concerned regular, no one has brought it up, so I'm going to leave this as is for now. The biggest reason we started these off topic threads is they became cluttered with whackadoodle chatter that would sometimes go for 7 or more pages before a TD even began, and it was a deterrent for some folks who didn't feel like they understood or felt a part of that culture. Given that a number of old timers moved on, and we now have a new generation of TD participants, I don't see a reason at this time to keep the off topic threads.

That of course, brings up the obvious question: "Can I still make off topic banter in the entry threads"? Shagdog and I don't have a hard and fast rule here. The most important thing is that people have FUN here, so some lighthearted play and humor is always appreciated. We just don't want the entry threads to spin out of control the way they did several years ago, so just use your discretion.

3. How Can I Support The Throwdowns?

I think most of us would like to see not only more participants, but more participants becoming regulars. The best way to do that is if you see a cook thread in QT that is appropriate for one or more TD's that are running is to comment on their cook thread encouraging them to enter with a link to that particular Throwdown. This is the single most effective way of promoting the TD's in QT I know of, besides the weekly promo I do in QT.

Another way to promote the TD's some of you are already doing, and that is to mention the specific Throwdown your QT cook is for, with a link to the TD.

Finally, I post a Throwdown Promo thread in QT about once a week. If you see this leave page 1, please bump that thread! The last one I did brought us quite a few entries in the Noob Showcase Throwdown.

If you have any constructive comments to add or contribute, please feel free to do so!

15ubii.jpg

Thanks Moose. I know we all appreciate the time both you and Matt put in putting these things on. The 2 week time frame probably is a good idea and may help encourage more participation.

I’ll try to remember to always mention the Throwdown (and include a link) when I post my cook thread in QT. I know I haven’t always done so in the past.

As one who started entering the Throwdowns when the Off-Topic / Whackadoodle threads were going strong, I was a little reluctant to post in them. It all looked like great fun but I still work for a living so didn’t have the time to engage in them all that much. I do miss them but since I never really participated that much it won’t discourage me from continuing to enter. (Entering the Throwdowns takes up enough time as it is. Just ask my wife, that 30 Minute Meal Throwdown really was a hit with her)

What I do miss are some of the past regulars. (Al, Notice how I avoided the word "old" :becky:) I see them around still but they don’t seem to enter or post much anymore. They helped (forced) me to get better at both my cooking / plating skills as well as the photography part of it. It would be great to get more new members to join but also get some the past regulars to start entering again as well.

My $.02

It was the Throwdowns that got me to "crawl out from under my rock" back in 2009. It's really cool to watch a TD unfold with all kinds of awesome, creative entries.

All sounds good to me, Moose! As always, I really do appreciate everything that you and Shagdog do here to make the TDs happen. If it weren't for the TDs, I probably would never have crawled out from under my rock to play.

Amen to that!

What I do miss are some of the past regulars. (Al, Notice how I avoided the word "old" :becky:) I see them around still but they don’t seem to enter or post much anymore. They helped (forced) me to get better at both my cooking / plating skills as well as the photography part of it. It would be great to get more new members to join but also get some the past regulars to start entering again as well.

My $.02

I think it is a good idea at least for an initial trial Change can be a good thing I too would like to see some of the past- not old- TD regulars start participating again I think you guys do an awesome job and would like to thank you for all the work/time that you spend on these Maybe some of the Noobs will start to do some more TDs

I would like to see more Throwdowns that I would have a chance to win. For example: to enter you must cook on a PBC, be from St. Louis, and have a screen name that starts with Bob and ends with C Cue.

I would like to see more Throwdowns that I would have a chance to win. For example: to enter you must cook on a PBC, be from St. Louis, and have a screen name that starts with Bob and ends with C Cue.

Wimp.
It's all about fun. I've never even come close to winning, yet I've entered.
Pull up your big girl panties and enter. At worst, you get a Dilly Bar, and, if you are lucky, you get to join the Zero Club.

Wimp.
It's all about fun. I've never even come close to winning, yet I've entered.
Pull up your big girl panties and enter. At worst, you get a Dilly Bar, and, if you are lucky, you get to join the Zero Club.

The Dilly Bar comment intrigues me. Tell me more!

Only problem with them is, as much as we want to, we cannot vote for it. :cool:
I agree, despite the flack that always comes my way when I say that. I've always thought that the monitors could set back and relax, as this, from the rules
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135049
covers most everything.
"12. If you have ANY problems with ANY of the entries, believing them not to be qualified for ANY reason, please use the VOTE thread and exercise your power of voting against those entries. DO NOT post any complaints in the Throwdown threads about any entry. DO NOT complain about those entries to the moderators. DO NOT complain to the person who made the entry via PM or any other means, as this could be construed as a personal attack which is against forum rules. Any complaints or attacks posted in any Throwdown thread will be deleted, or worse."

They should really trust us, we have their backs. If anything about us can be relied on, it's our love for this thread and what it stands for. If the voters screw up, it's our fault, not theirs.

Back