Please Weigh In: Should We have Fewer Throwdowns?

Personally I hate to see a reduced number. But that is just me as I really like them. That being said I dont think it fair that Richard and Andy do all the work that is needed to do these and have so few entries. I dont think it is so much a popularity contes as it is soooo many people have left the forum

Can't argue with any of this.

My world has been so busy lately that I just haven’t had the time to pick something and cook it for a Throwdown. If there were fewer concurrent TDs going on and maybe they lasted longer (the latter part is particularly important for my situation) I’d probably be able to participate more often. About the time I notice a category that I might be able to cook for, the TD is already over before I have a chance to do it.

So much for keeping this thread on-topic! :doh:

Nonetheless, I know it's hard to do that given the drop in participation both here in the Throwdown forum and the forum overall. Andy and I have been discussing ways to change that which we will be discussing with the mods soon.

My initial reason for posting this thread and suggesting the change in frequency "for the time being" is the promos in Qtalk were potentially causing clutter in Qtalk, but that's a matter of perception and not all may see it that way.

See the response below from Bill in Chicago a while back to the "Group Shrinking" Thread from woodpile and think on it a while:

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4617116&postcount=90

Last edited:
Firstly, I'd like to thank Richard, Andy and Shagster for hosting the TD's for so long. It's a labor of love and done for nothing. On top of that there is sometimes some criticism which I suppose goes with the territory but also isn't warranted when the TD's add to the camaraderie of the Brethren and (again) are hosted simply through personal commitment.

Well done fellas. You all deserve a medal.

Having said that, I was also expecting this to come. There has to be some reward (even if it's just personal satisfaction) for those providing this service and if entries are very few it's a lot of work for little result.

It makes sense to go down the proposed path.

Bill

Not that my thought matter since I’m a newbie here

Don’t think the mods get enough credit

I wouldn’t do what they do….

Just saying!
We're only the Throwdown mods. The real heros are the site mods. Ron L & Bob Brisket.

But one of the perks is that we get to use the BBQ Brethren private jet on occasion. :pound:

For me it isn't the frequency that is the issue, but simply having the time for a cook of that nature. I actually decided like 6 months ago that I really wanted to enter each one as a personal challenge, but even when I've cooked something that fit, it didn't feel competition worthy.

Also, the photo posting part is huge. I renewed my subscription nearly a month ago and STILL don't have my privileges back, including space for photos. It's very disappointing and having my money taken and the perks not applied is undoubtedly tainting my view of the site. Even when it works, it's very limiting and obnoxious when I can so easily post photos on every other platform.

Firstly, I'd like to thank Richard, Andy and Shagster for hosting the TD's for so long. It's a labor of love and done for nothing. On top of that there is sometimes some criticism which I suppose goes with the territory but also isn't warranted when the TD's add to the camaraderie of the Brethren and (again) are hosted simply through personal commitment.

Well done fellas. You all deserve a medal.

Having said that, I was also expecting this to come. There has to be some reward (even if it's just personal satisfaction) for those providing this service and if entries are very few it's a lot of work for little result.

It makes sense to go down the proposed path.

Well said Bill and so True

Win only once in each category for 11 months. Two throwdowns per month. That would give up to 22 different Brethren a chance to win. Fewer but still quite a few if a Brethren wins once on each side.

Those 22 (possibly lower) compete for yearly Championship

I've actually recommended this before but cannot remember why the idea was frowned upon.

Regardless, not my ball nor playground.

No doubt in my mind y'all will figure it out.

I agree with the above posters. I don’t do the throwdowns as it’s a pia to get pictures uploaded. Granted I know it’s easy to go through Imgur or other sites, but that’s still more work then most of us want to do

Have you tried Post Image https://postimages.org/

Works for me. Yes, you still have to take the pics, upload to Post Image and then link the pic files in the thread. You can get pretty fast at it after a while.

Win only once in each category for 11 months. Two throwdowns per month. That would give up to 22 different Brethren a chance to win. Fewer but still quite a few if a Brethren wins once on each side.

Those 22 (possibly lower) compete for yearly Championship

I've actually recommended this before but cannot remember why the idea was frowned upon.

Regardless, not my ball nor playground.

No doubt in my mind y'all will figure it out.

Your idea has some merit Adams. Could we have a yearly Grand Champion?

Would that give some incentive to increase participation? Possibly. We do not have to associate a prize with that. The title alone would be a big deal. So many members don't post an entry because maybe they think it's not good enough, or they don't have the time. Would that make a difference?

We could offer a weekend in Hawaii on Poobah's private BBQ Brethren Jet?

Do you think Phil would be in on this?

:noidea:

It's a big ask.

But Imagine...

Inaugural BBQ Bretheren GRAND CHAMPION IS......................

16Adams with an MSU!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Seldom enter TDs due to mediocre cooking and poor photography skills so I try to help by bumping the threads. Hoping that upgrading to an iPhone 2 will help with the photos.

Y'all know, the 20th Anniversary of the Brethren is this summer. Maybe a special TD to celebrate this.

Even when it works, it's very limiting and obnoxious when I can so easily post photos on every other platform.
I agree with the above posters. I don’t do the throwdowns as it’s a pia to get pictures uploaded. Granted I know it’s easy to go through Imgur or other sites, but that’s still more work then most of us want to do
Just curious, what other forums are you posting on where it's easy? I'm not on a lot of other forums anymore, so haven't really kept up. Perhaps a refresh of the forum software? Or maybe something else could be done?

Personally I'm not sure reducing the number of TDs would increase participation, for me it's kind of a multi-headed issue.

First I'm just not that creative enough to come up with things that fit into the categories, so I often don't participate based on not coming up with a good idea. Second, the people in my house are all really picky eaters so if I do happen to come with something I'm usually just making it for myself, which kind of takes the fun out of it for me. And finally, and this is the big one, having time to plan, prep and execute a TD is not always easy to come by around here. Between, school, sports, scouts, camping trips, dealing with family etc. having time do dedicate to a TD entry, especially when it's just me eating it, is not something that happens very often.

Anyway, all that said I have no idea how any of that helps you increase participation, but I think reducing the opportunities would hurt my ability to enter even more. Maybe if it were 2 TDs per month, offset by a couple weeks and make them go a month each? I dunno. The month long TDs are easier for me to enter since I can do a bit of prep here and there, and then plan a day to actually do the cook.

I do like the idea of a Tournament of Champions type TD for the previous years' winners, or something along those lines.

I’m gonna have groundhog66 teach me how to post pics and I will do TD’s I’m just not a social media guy! I text pics all the time! Ask Tim lol!

Back