Franklin Q

CLeeSmokinQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Well headed home today from Arlington to the RGV (McAllen) an I was soooo looking forward to a quick stop in Austin over at Franklin BBQ .. I just got online to preorder a brisket for the trip, annnn they are CLOSED:shock::crazy: :mad::doh::mad2:

I'm not farkin happy... Sorry just needed to vent....

Probably wouldn't have mattered too much. I tried to pre-order a few briskets last spring when I was in town and there was a waiting list of 6-8 weeks just to pre-order one for take-out.

There's still John Mueller's, La Barbecue, and Stiles Switch - and probably many other places in to hit in Austin. I've heard good things about La Barbecue and Stiles Switch, and I can tell you first hand that John Mueller's is pharking phenomenal. I'll give Franklin's the win for the mind blowing brisket experience, but John Mueller's brisket is right up there with Franklin's, and I'd say for the overall experience (other dishes, atmosphere, etc.) I think I prefer Mueller's.

I think I loved La Barbecue every bit as Franklin's. It was different, but I loved it. As for John Mueller's, I can see Greg is still rubbing it in. Farker. :tsk:

I think I loved La Barbecue every bit as Franklin's. It was different, but I loved it. As for John Mueller's, I can see Greg is still rubbing it in. Farker. :tsk:

That wasn't really rubbing it in.

But this is....

IMG_2543.jpg

It may be worth noting that this was Gore's 2nd attempt - but at least this was after an air-conditioned car ride, unlike the first attempt which was a mile and a half or so walk on a hot day. :twisted:

Seriously though, Franklin's is a great and special place, but it ain't the only place - there are lots of fantastic BBQ joints around central TX that have a lot to offer.

Come on now, let's discuss something non-controversial, like whether or not NC BBQ is better than TX, who the fark started putting tomatoes in farking sauce and why, is low and slow really silly, etc....

I was reading a thread yesterday where someone figured out that exhausts and intakes are not necessary. I think that is something we should all consider. How much time we have been wasting fiddling with temp control when all we had to do was seal up the exhaust and intake?:doh:

I was reading a thread yesterday where someone figured out that exhausts and intakes are not necessary. I think that is something we should all consider. How much time we have been wasting fiddling with temp control when all we had to do was seal up the exhaust and intake?:doh:

LMFAO...I saw that thread too, and couldnt believe what I was reading...

I like amazing bbq, and have tried twice without success (sold out twice) to eat at Franklins. Thats when I decided to cook good bbq myself, and realize I dont have the patience to wait in line that long, when I can do it...I am foody at heart, but wont wait 4 hours to eat, nor plan on a 6-8 week waiting list for take out?!?

ADMIN Note:

I scrubbed the uncalled for political bullcrap :mad: out of the thread. .. take it there again and you will enjoy a 30 day vacation from the forum.

and thanks to those who policed for us.. :thumb: i removed those too since once offending posts were removed, they made no sense.

Ya really gotta like bbq if your like me and enjoy reading stories about people MISSING a chance to eat at good bbq joints.:laugh:

Buy a Yetti. On your trip South along IH35 fill it at HEB with select Briskets and Slovacek Garlic sausage. Find bludawg brisket recipe. You will have an existential goat roping experience when you get home to your smoker. Make the trip positive. Let's shop farkers!!!

Now, I ask you-"What's in your wallet?"

There's still John Mueller's, La Barbecue, and Stiles Switch - and probably many other places in to hit in Austin. I've heard good things about La Barbecue and Stiles Switch, and I can tell you first hand that John Mueller's is pharking phenomenal. I'll give Franklin's the win for the mind blowing brisket experience, but John Mueller's brisket is right up there with Franklin's, and I'd say for the overall experience (other dishes, atmosphere, etc.) I think I prefer Mueller's.

John Mueller or LA BBQ would be on the top of my list in Austin, followed by Stiles. I have been to all 3 and man are they good.

I would also consider making a slight detour to Taylor and head on out to Louie Mueller for some beef dino rib goodness! :becky:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
John Mueller or LA BBQ would be on the top of my list in Austin, followed by Stiles. I have been to all 3 and man are they good.

I would also consider making a slight detour to Taylor and head on out to Louie Mueller for some beef dino rib goodness! :becky:

I wouldn't even consider it - I'd just do it! :hungry: Taylor is on my list for next time - Louie Mueller and Taylor Cafe - and a stop at Snow's along the way.

ADMIN Note:

I scrubbed the uncalled for political bullcrap :mad: out of the thread. .. take it there again and you will enjoy a 30 day vacation from the forum.

and thanks to those who policed for us.. :thumb: i removed those too since once offending posts were removed, they made no sense.

Thanks... that other thread was out of bounds.

Sorry for the late follow up.. The trip is helping my uncle move from the DFW area to south tx.. I could stop an pick up meat for the smoker but that defines the point.. Lol I was hoping for a quick pit stop picking up some quality Q an back on the road.. Well I'm On my way back up currently an round two is on Thursday.. But looks like FrAnklin won't be possible lol.. I'll look up some of these other mentioned shops an see which I'll stop at..

Thanks brethren I was just looking for somewhere to vent lol

You missed out.

Franklin uses this stuff. He starts with good product and has good product.

article-0-1F8D657600000578-712_634x423.jpg

Photo is not of the Secret Service taking uncooked briskets but probably what they used to load up the briskets he did buy, on to Air Force One. The Secret Service guards our American President, Barak Obama. Obama visited Franklin's last week. In fact, these are aides... and not the Secret Service - the one on the right is actually a "Schmuck."

Get this....... wait for it..... Bob Schmuck. Now I ask you.... of you had a kid whose last name was also considered a part of the male anatomy, would you make his first name a Verb?

Back