THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I think it'll work, you'll just have to leave the door open to get a clean fire and move the exhaust to the end and make it bigger as said before.

Looks like the current firebox door is the top 1/2 of the round firebox so he can't leav it open for more air flow; won't get any draft into to cook chamber.

I'm going to put a door on the end an a large damper. Says I need like 40sq in of air intake

Good start, I would oversize if you can and keep the inlet as low as possible.

I would block/plate off the bottom 4"-6" of the FB to Cook Chamber Hole......
Smoke Stack comes in under the cooking Grate.? :confused: Close that Off and put Real exhaust on the End. I'd box the exhaust then into 6" pipe like pic above, probally make the exhaust opening wide like 4" H x 10" W or such at Grate level or just above.

Last edited:
I saved this image from another thread posted on here; it shows a really neat way to skew to opening to the bottom of the firebox.

6DCE9C5B-6364-4BD6-A57B-969698D9D73F_zpslfu3rbo0.gif

I think if you can fit a 6"-7" radius, less a 1"-2" center hub, you can easily get to plus 40 square inches.

Stack is no where near the grate. It's on the very top of the chamber. Dosent come down at all. I was seeing about 100 degree difference between the top of the cooker an the food grate. The heat just comes out of the box and goes straight across the top.

I think that unit could benefit from some tuning plates also.. To help it get even temps from firebox side to exhaust side.

I don't understand the stack in the middle if the pit.? :confused: Don't make any sense. :crazy:
If you blocked the 2nd half off right past the smoke stack it'd probally Run fine. If you didn't want or need the pit that Big you could chop it off right there and plate the end and make a grill with other half. That's what I would do.......
I was going to ask, on the inside, is that all one cook chamber? It looks like the left door is a grill and the right door is the smoker. Is there a seperator betweeen the 2 sections? If not, there should be, if you're going to leave the stack there. Your intake is way too small on that firebox. Like paul said, you can make it work with enough intake, but you're just not even close. If you wanted to run a clean fire in that right now, its going to need to be a real small fire, and you'll only be able to smoke on the right side.

I think I'm just going to use the calculator that was suggested to me. I'm definitely going to move the stack to the end. Should it be on the very end even with the grate? I was thinking like an elbow. Maybe 6 inch pipe?

Yes it's one cook chamber

Your going to have to choke down the throat (cook chamber to firebox) along with moving the stack, otherwise there's no way to make it draft right

another thing is maybe this smoker was built to be run with the firebox door opened? Franklin style? but either way the exhaust has to be moved to the opposite end.

Looking at the holes in the firebox, I wonder if the previous owner had some kind of bbq guru-like system that he used to force airflow. No idea whatsoever about the stack in the middle. Maybe he was OCD and couldn't stand to see it on the side.

Stack is choking it for sure...fb sounds small....opening to the cook chamber may be the third issue...and as was mentioned, the stack being mid ship is way odd....IMHO...

I just got my two thermometers in today. Where should I put them in was thinking on pretty close to the fire box in the bottom of the door as close to the grate as possible. What about the other one?

Back