120 Gal Pit Build...lots o pics!

Dammit ... I really don't need a new project/hobby right now but this thread is making it really hard to resist.

Thanks for the inspiration and great work!

Dammit ... I really don't need a new project/hobby right now but this thread is making it really hard to resist.

Thanks for the inspiration and great work!
Tell me about it - I already have a 120G RF! ;)

I know this thread is somewhat old...But I got a GoPro from my folks this year for Christmas and made a couple little videos explaining my smoker, startup, fire management, etc....My first videos, no editing, so meh....enjoy! Thought it would be neat to throw them onto this thread to see where the build started and ended up =-]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EeyFreFXBio&t=300s"]120g Reverse Flow startup - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR_gf3dOwEI"]120g Reverse Flow cook - YouTube[/ame]

Dale

Just read this from the first page to last, and watched the videos, nice work! Very informative and inspirational! You have done great work! Thank you for taking the time to put this together.

I have most of the tools/equipment to get dangerous and found myself eyeballing some of my 'excess cookers' I could sell to buy materials and a few more tools.

Again, sweet build/thread! This is what this site is all about! You should be proud, commendable!

I'm glad this thread got bumped the other day. I just read every post in this thread. Heck of a cooker! I'm beyond impressed with it.

Congrats on a great job!!!!

Hey guys thanks a lot! I appreciate the comments. I intend on doing another "more refined" video explaining a little more in depth the details of my cooker, some lessons learned, fire management. Now that I have had a good number of cooks under my belt with this cooker I would say I have this thing down and am truly my own "pitmaster" so to speak.

It's amazing what you learn when doing a "block party" or inviting your entire department from work over and cooking mass quantity. Or how weather attributes, or just simply how you made the fire to begin with...

So more to follow!

Dale

Awesome thread badgoat. Really liked reading all the detail and sharing your stuggles during this build. The math portion was particularly entertaining! I hunt and fish with a bunch of engineers and they got a kick out of it. M-fine. nice job of talking him off the ledge in those dark hours of the build and all the other knowledgeable supportive fellow brethren with their helpful positive input. When you thought the fabrication had gone wrong and possibly crooked in the early stages, you simply rationalized it down to " I meant to do that", I thought that was hilarious and legendary. I was going to chime in and use an analogy about my sister bringing home this little nutty golden lab rescue (BLUE). He was cute, a little rambunctious and literally had a cock-eyed crooked mouth/smile which made me laugh. Yes he had a minor visual flaw that made him unique and most importantly that flaw was there for her to enjoy. She raised him in NYC so he's a city dog who gets to go to the ocean in THE HAMPTONS a few times a year. He is the most awesome dog as far as disposition and personality and that crooked snout is the cherry on top.Much like the beast you may have felt the was a flaw yet it didnt affect functionality, and you rolled with it. You know its there but enjoy its uniqueness. Remember,... you created that inperfection not some guy named xing po zhong in a factory in taiwan.

I'd like to see some briskets come off of that maybe a whole hog!!

great job great thread!!!!!

OMGosh....Smokin' Hoogie you couldn't have hit the nail on the head more. Man I remember those times. I specifically remember when I thought I made my CC half moon opening too small and was "seriously" sickened by the thought that my smoker wouldn't work and I would have a 1200lb lawn ornament. Holy cow what a moment that was...I was sweating bullets the first time I fired that thing up, lol.

And yeah that Firebox fiasco...sheesh....But I reverse "engineered" that and on the outside of the box I just laid a big ol' fat bead down in one continuous run and wouldn't ya know that the weight of the box and the heat combined drew that sucker back into alignment, hahaha.

And another valid point...there is just something about knowing that you made something so awesome with your own two hands. And the folks here for sure kept me out of the looney bin!

So many good memories....man now I want to go cook something. In fact, I agree with ya bud...a Brisket is in order!!

Dale

Man that is one totally jam up build.. seriously you did a bang up job all the way around
And have something to be totally proud of.....you need a job......:):clap2:

Haha, coming from you, that means a lot brother!! Seriously, thank you.

I still need to figure out a better way to make this thing better in terms of mobility. I don't want it trailer mounted per say. So my thoughts are like a "golf cart" axle type setup and mount that under the FB. Just haven't figured out a "cheap" easy way to accomplish it yet. And then to configure the front end to I can turn the tires. Because the way it is right now with those casters under the fire box, they just dig into the grass and can't really move it. I'm sure with some brainstorming I'll figure it out, lol.

I'll hit ya up in 10yrs when I'm done with my military obligations, lol.

Just noticed this thread was updated, and with videos!

Looking back (page 7, post 99), July 1st was your first test fire before construction was complete. At that time you had no idea how to run an offset or if your design would work. Now less than 8 months later it looks like you are the master of a fine machine! Congrats!

My suggestion on mobility would be to add weight to the nose and ditch the casters under the firebox. The big question is what to use for weight. I would suggest a ceramic kamado, but you seem to have enough charcoal burners already, so how about mounting a propane griddle like a blackstone opposite the fire box? The weight of a griddle and a propane tank should be plenty to keep it from being tippy, and there is the added benefit of having another very useful cooking toy.

One other thought watching your workflow...you need a shelf. Use a little expanded metal and make yourself a shelf under the door opening where you can set down your trays of food. You can make it fixed or fold down if space is a concern. Just make sure you mount low enough so the door can open or close with a butt or brisket sitting there. I have one on each side of the Lang and they get a lot of use holding food, tools, rubs, mops, oil, trays, sampling knife, etc. during any cook.

Back