How do you pack all your competition stuff?

ITBFQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
When I compete, I have to borrow my FIL's truck to haul my gear. This last time around it took forever to get everything in there - I have a few milk crate type containers for extension cords, wood chunks, chimney starter, etc. I have a good sized Rubbermaid tote for my cooking things - aluminum pans, foil, gloves, racks, etc. I just got a new large Stanley toolbox for my rubs, sauces, knives, thermos, timers and other things I keep at the ready on my prep table. So, my question is, what could I use to consolidate the milk crates and Rubbermaid tote into one item to load on the truck? I've been looking on Amazon, Menards and Home Depot sites, there seem to be lots of options out there, and some aren't very sturdy and get mediocre reviews. Can anyone point me to something they use so I can consolidate a few of these containers?

I always liked moving one big container, with smaller containers or zip lock bags inside of that. One for cooking and the other for misc stuff, et al. When I cook out of my truck, I also have my Cambridge jammed with cooking stuff. I have a tool box for my cooking utensils. I also like to make sure the containers can stack. Easier to throw them in a corner of your EZ Up.

We found that the large plastic bins from Wal-Mart was the best option for us. One bin was for rubs, sauces ect. Another bin was for pans, cooking utensil's and then we had another bin for pots, cups, etc. If you compete more than 4 or 5 times a year all the loading and unlading will become a big pain in the ass. After about 4 events we bought a toy hauler and have since just stored everything in the cabinets.

I have 3 of the exact ones that Uncle Buds showed you!! One is for all rubs, spices, ect....., one is for bags, paper towels, cleaning, ect....., the other for pans and cooking stuff.

I prefer drawers to bins. Much easier to find stuff when you're in the weeds. Two small rolling toolboxes hold all the gear I need for the cooking process and fit underneath one of my folding tables. I roll those in and out of the trailer. Other stuff that I need for site setup but not for the actual cooking process (power cords, water hose, hand washing cooler, extra charcoal, propane heater, etc.), goes on a rolling wire shelf (either loose or in bins), which I generally leave in the trailer.

The bins Uncle Buds BBQ mentioned using are good. They stack very nicely, are pretty reasonably priced as I recall and durable

Old ice chest's work great, cheap at flea markets and garage sales, they have sturdy handles and seal very good against, bugs, spiders, critters, rain, humidity and moisture wind ect. ect. plus if same size stack and strap well.

My first 6-8 contests, I rented a small 5x8 U-Haul trailer. Then, things got slowly very expensive after that... I think the trailer cost me $60 for the weekend.

Last year we crammed a traeger junior elite and 2 weber kettles into two cars and filled it up and we could barely fit in our cars. Probably doing it again this year. We are going with an even smaller setup this year one 14.5" WSM and hopefully can cram all the utensils in a tote or 2. We compete amateur backyard for now.

Make sure you aren't taking a bunch of stuff you don't need. Last year I decided to go through my list of things I've been taking and got rid of quite a few things I didn't really need. It has made everything easier.

I use these from Lowes, I like them because they stack nice and neat. I also have some that I transport my chafers in for catering.
I also did like Podge said renting a uhaul small enclosed trailer. I used to load it a day or so before I left for the comps. Also as he said things are slowly getting more expensive for me in gear and a new smoker and trailer.

image.jpg

Now in our 3rd year, We have a bigger camper. However, we also have 3 children and 2 adults and all of their possessions for the weekend included in packing so we don't have a ton of extra space. We continue to use the same old methods we used before we got the camper which is a big Stanley toolbox for smaller gear (injectors, tongs, thermometers,etc) & then we put the rest of our gear (aside from the cookers) into our 3 big plastic totes that double as wash tubs when we get to the comp we are using all the gear, the totes are emptied and act as wash tubs, at the end of the comp when all dishes are done we wash the totes out well and repack. It's not fancy but It has been effective for us. :-D

Thanks everyone. As much as I would like it, a camper is not really an option. My FIL doesn't mind loaning me his truck - I always fill the tank and run it through the car wash before I return it - so that is the option I am going to keep using for now. It can more than accommodate my UDS and WSM, pop up and everything else. Besides, a new vehicle isn't really in the cards just now. The totes that several pointed out are exactly what I was looking for - two or three will hold everything I need and they will stack nicely in the corner of the canopy and in the basement where I keep all my comp stuff. Thanks for pointing out some options that many of you have used and been happy with.

I am not sure what your situation is, but I have very little money in my camper. I pull it with my Jeep Liberty.

2014-04-11%2013.33.44.jpg

2014-04-08%2016.34.36.jpg

Back