restaurants running offset pits and long cooks

nachos4life

Take a breath!
Reaction score
hey all,
I was just thinking about this after reading the Prophets of Smoked Meat book and wondering how restaurants using pits like all wood offsets schedule their cooks, especially briskets and butts/shoulders that can take up to 10-12 hours or so. I imagine it varies widely and can see why people go with pits that can let them sleep.

-Are these places usually cooking early and holding the meats for a while until opening time?
- additional staff hired to man the fire overnight so the meat is freshly coming off the pit?
- other?

thanks for any insight to satisfy my curiosity.

Probably just like any other BBQ place--it depends based on capacity. The only difference between a stickburner and something automatic is whether you have to pay somebody to tend the fire.

There is so much variability, there is no one answer. I have spoken to an old pitmaster out this way, who ran his church Sunday BBQ. He would fire his pit at 3 a.m., then cook meat from 4 a.m. to 1 p.m., he must have been running it hot, as he was ready to serve in 9 hours. There is a place in Humboldt, that is Texas pit style, and the guy pays his crew through the night, to keep his pits fired around the clock. Different strokes for different folks. (and yes, I assume he has alternate sources of income so he can afford to pay a crew through the night)

I thought a number of those places use electric smokers.

Back