Wood Fired Oven Build

The good news is that I sourced my ceramic fiber board insulation locally, but the bad news is I can't get over to pick it up until Thursday as we are on our way out of town for vacation. I will try to get my first load of firebrick and mortar on site before we leave so I can do a little work on Labor Day.

Vacation?
What?!?!?!?

Are you some kind of slacker, or what?
Come on man, build SOMETHING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back from vacation and time to get to work!

Started by laying out my ceramic fiber board
picture.php

Here it is trimmed to size
picture.php

Close up of the landing/oven opening, made sure to build in an extra 3/4" on each side of the oven opening to ensure that I can easily get a door in.
picture.php

Got started with the floor layout, I will be picking up a diamond blade this afternoon so I can start making some cuts. Also need to get a grinding wheel so I can smooth any imperfections in the floor surface.
picture.php

So far this stuff is much easier than pouring the pad, stacking the block and pouring the hearth!

Last edited:
I would recommend one more layer of insulation on the floor, if you want max heat retention. If not carry on.

1st Course dry stacked
picture.php

picture.php

Without the template so you get a feeling for size
picture.php

While the template was out I cut it into sections so that later I can easily slide out, now it basically acts a center point for the indispensable tool and a floor mat to make cleanup easier later on!
picture.php

Indispensable tool, my cheap version anyway, basically keeps my radius at a constant 21", I feel like this will make things very quick for the courses that will stay put with gravity alone.
picture.php

That big chunk of brick is what I had laying around at the time for a shim, I will try to find something a bit smaller than that!
picture.php

Keep as much water out of it as possible.
picture.php

Found out that my metal saw is rated to cut masonry brick/block so I went and picked up a diamond tipped blade. I was planning on rigging up a water system but this blade said no water needed. I am sure it would still extend the life of the blade but as long as it gets me through this project I don't really care. The metal saw has a screw down clamp which is needed for metal, but the brick don't really move when you cut them so I just do a quick clamp. Eye protection and ear protection are being worn, today there was a 20 mile per hour wind so I wasn't wearing a mask, if that isn't the case I will wear a mask.
picture.php

picture.php

Out of brick so about all I can do in the meantime is get the first course mortared in.

Regardless, whether the blade is a dry cut, it will last longer and cut easier if you soak the bricks in water til its fully absorbed. I used a couple of 5 gallon buckets and had several bricks soaking at a time.
But more importantly, it won't create all that dust.

Your blade will last longer and cut easier if you soak the bricks in water til its fully absorbed. I used a couple of 5 gallon buckets and had several bricks soaking at a time.

I will give it a try, but I can't imagine they could cut any easier than they did today. The dust alone would be a good enough reason to do it, today it just blew way but on a calmer day that would be a big deal.

Without any brick there isn't much to do so I took the opportunity to get my inner & outer arch forms built.

Inner Arch
picture.php

Outer Arch
picture.php

Arch comparison showing that the outer arch is 3/4" bigger on left, right and top; to make it easier to insert a door for baking.
picture.php

Back