Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

The ND people came in today to sample the food and overall it was a good meeting. They were impressed to say the least. Apparently this would be a full catered event for major benefactors and some pro golfers, about 175 people. They would give us full access to their kitchen, additional catering staff, etc.

I really hope this pans out because that would be amazing. Plus they said they have additional events in mind if things turn out well. Fingers crossed.

Also rolled out the new menu yesterday. Prices up across the board and so far nobody is even blinking at the hike. I'm sure a few regulars will bring it up here or there, but I'm looking forward to the increased revenue. Breaking it down, if business just stays the same, that's an automatic extra $50-60k a year to the bottom line.

And to think....at one point you were wondering if all the hassle was really going to be worth it....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

And to think....at one point you were wondering if all the hassle was really going to be worth it....:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Sometimes I still wonder. There are still weeks you've got to rob Peter to pay Paul, unexpected issues that come up at the wrong time and have you scrambling to make payroll, coming in to a kitchen flood (like just this Tuesday), etc.

But the pieces are falling into place and it's getting easier. Still incredibly stressful, but in sort of a good and exciting way.

there is something missing on your new menu under the mac n cheese in the kids meal section

I think most people understand raising prices, and especially if the food is top notch, like it obviously is.

Busy busy busy at the pig. Finally got confirmation on the notre dame gig today. That was huge and been anxiously awaiting. Right now, pretty much every weekend through September is already booked with events or catering. Even got a few off site cooking events for companies throwing their annual picnics and such.

It's a good and bad thing. Great to be booking all of these, but I've had to make some tough choices and turn down events I really wanted to do. Can't do it all, and don't want to spread too thin trying.

Last week we also got voted in the top three BBQ joints in the region for a second straight year. How famous daves beat us I'll never know. And the south bend tribune and an area magazine will be running stories on the restaurant in the coming weeks. All welcomed exposure for sure.

And then with all the good is the bad to balance things out. Payroll issues, insurance audits, having one of the coolers break down in the middle of a busy weekend, etc. comes with the territory I suppose.

Thanks for the update. Always glad to hear how you are doing...

Thanks for the update. Always glad to hear how you are doing...

Agreed!

I'm bummed that our camping trip a few weeks ago was cut short due to severe weather on Saturday night. There went my plans to stop by the Pig on Sunday afternoon. I called and it was too late on Saturday for us to get any BBQ. Seriously bummed since I don't make it over to that part of Michigan more than once a year at best. Hopefully next summer I can make it over there and stop in!

And don't sweat the Famous Dave's thing. The general public cannot be trusted when it comes to food. I use Yelp all the time when I'm in a new place looking for restaurants and everywhere you look you'll find stuff like Applebee's, Famous Daves, Pizza Hut, etc mixed in with the local options when looking for a place to eat. Heck, I have friends that genuinely believe BW3 is a good place to eat...

Check out what will be the new cutting board on the meat station. About 3 inches thick and nearly 3 feet wide. Sanding starts tomorrow. :biggrin1:

fok6mr.jpg

Good idea, thanks for posting. I've been wanting to make my own out of oak 2x4s
That there is the answer, That will be a trick cutting board.
Thanks again.

Yeah, need something robust. I'm chewing through boards like nothing. Even end grain boos blocks, and those aren't cheap.

Sounds like things are rolling along.

The Chinese chefs all use large round logs like that for cutting.

Looks like oak. Should take a while to wear that one out.

I'm guessing you will remove the bark (?),
sand it as smooth as you can,
then what - seal it with olive oil??
Patrons would love to see you chopping,
it's part of the experience. Gonna be good!

I'm guessing you will remove the bark (?),
sand it as smooth as you can,
then what - seal it with olive oil??
Patrons would love to see you chopping,
it's part of the experience. Gonna be good!

Yes, bark will come off as it dries and begins to separate. Then sanding to a fine finish. And no, sealed with mineral oil. Lots and lots of oil. Olive, or any other cooking oil will go rancid over time.

Back