How to smoke wings

I'm going to smoke some wings tonight. Anyone got a good recipe for this alabama white sauce? I'll try it half of em and report back.

The recipe from Mike Mill's book, Peace Love and BBQ is roughly as follows:

1 cup Mayo
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbs lemon juice
1.5 tablespoons course black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper

I also add dried herbs like tarragon, chervil and chives
crushed red pepper is a great thing to add, as is granulated garlic.
I read quite a few recipes that include horseradish too. Start with the recipe above and personalize.

My favorite is very simple. Soak your wings in a gallon ziplock withs Franks Hot Wing overnight. Season them with your favorite rub and smoke at 300-325 till done. Great tasting wings with no mess. You will not need any sauce.

Something about the way that sauce soaks into the hot skin turns it into magic! :biggrin1:

Would love to hear the opinion on it after the fact. You can dunk them in it hot or brush it on at the last few minutes it's on the grill to get the same effect. It absorbs into the chicken, so it's not coated completely like a regular hot wing sauce would look.

http://southern.food.com/recipe/big-bob-gibson-bar-b-q-white-sauce-373289
Did this last night. Turned out great. Here's the cook.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214637

The recipe from Mike Mill's book, Peace Love and BBQ is roughly as follows:

1 cup Mayo
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbs lemon juice
1.5 tablespoons course black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne pepper

I also add dried herbs like tarragon, chervil and chives
crushed red pepper is a great thing to add, as is granulated garlic.
I read quite a few recipes that include horseradish too. Start with the recipe above and personalize.

That seems like a VERY watery (similar to NC ACV based?) sauce with only 1 cup of Mayo.... is it traditionally that runny?

That seems like a VERY watery (similar to NC ACV based?) sauce with only 1 cup of Mayo.... is it traditionally that runny?

They had big bob gibson's bbq on some food network show and their sauce was very runny too. He also added horseradish to his which I think would be amazing though I haven't had a chance to try it.

They had big bob gibson's bbq on some food network show and their sauce was very runny too. He also added horseradish to his which I think would be amazing though I haven't had a chance to try it.

Ah i see! For some reason i always pictured it thick like a ketchup/tomato based sauce. Horseradish (and maybe some smokey chipotle) would be a great addition!

I usually dry rub and smoke mine for about an hour 1/2 at 250, then I'll move them to the grill side of my pit, get a nice color on them, sauce them with my own wing sauce then move them back to the smoker to let that sauce cook in nice and slow. This process makes for a really spicy wing as that hot wing sauce cooks all the way into the wings. YOUR PIT IS BAD A$$, who makes that?

sorry I didn't catch this sooner, but yes, the sauce is quite thin. It is pretty powerful, so a thicker version of it would be counter-productive and simply too much. Give it a try and you will understand. Keep in mind that the recipe I posted is sort of a blank canvas. If you want it spicier, add more black pepper, cayenne, crushed red pepper, etc. You can probably substitute some franks hot sauce for ACV. Add a bunch of fresh herbs even.

Back