Brisket temps

being a newb who has done alot of reading in here, most people dont cook to a specific temperature, they cook until the brisket is probe tender.

Read this.

Till it's done... Probe tender... For Brisket, Chuck, beef Ribs and Pork Butts and Ribs. Don't pay attention to the temp unless I'm doing poultry (160), lamb, goat, venison I like it rare to med rare.

The main reason everyone teaches probe tender, is because the temperature of your pit at grate level will have a big bearing on your finish temps, as well as the grade of brisket.

As the others have mentioned, you want probe tender. Each brisket, beef chuck, pork butt, etc. will be ready at different times. No two chunks of meat will be perfect at exactly the same time. But that does not really give you any guidance on when to start checking. I find that most large chuck of meat are probe tender between 197 - 205. It still could be higher if you have a stubborn piece. So, start checking around 197 and pull it when the probe slides in like easily. Good luck!

If you feel you must cook to a temp, run till 203* then pull let vent for 5 minutes then cover and let it rest 2 hrs. before slicing.

I've said this before...........I agree that there isn't one perfect done temp. But those that ever say "cook till done" for new people, literally helps zero :becky: without additional context. Finishing temp can depend very much on cooking temp. I've found the hotter I cook the higher the finishing temp.

So that being said...........The way I do it I don't look at a choice brisket until 202 and wagyu until 204 and I haven't overshot since...........well I can't remember the last time. Not saying they are done at exactly those temps, but they are never overdone at those temps for me and about 90% of the time they are done and if they aren't they they take maybe another 30-60mins after that. Take that for what you will and again I'm adamant about people learning their own techniques and temps, but once you do you can fairly accurately predict when meat will get done :clap2:.

Ive been getting briskets done under 200. Id agree with jason, how you cook determines finish temp.

Probe tender method is the easiest to learn, and allows for making pretty good brisket with the first, or within the first few tries. Generally, within any grade of meat, the hotter you cook, the hotter you have to take the meat to have it rendered properly. There are variables, including how your cooker drafts, how you trim the brisket, ambient air and moisture etc...I have cooked enough BBQ, and specifically briskets, to have a really good feel for when the meat is done, whether I use the feel method, or the probe, it ends up with my just feeling it is done. I haven't internally temped a finished brisket in a while, I would guess, it's around 205°F to 210°F normally.

I've said this before...........I agree that there isn't one perfect done temp. But those that ever say "cook till done" for new people, literally helps zero :becky: without additional context. Finishing temp can depend very much on cooking temp. I've found the hotter I cook the higher the finishing temp.

So that being said...........The way I do it I don't look at a choice brisket until 202 and wagyu until 204 and I haven't overshot since...........well I can't remember the last time. Not saying they are done at exactly those temps, but they are never overdone at those temps for me and about 90% of the time they are done and if they aren't they they take maybe another 30-60mins after that. Take that for what you will and again I'm adamant about people learning their own techniques and temps, but once you do you can fairly accurately predict when meat will get done :clap2:.

With how you framed your response, it would be much more useful to the OP if you included your cooking temp along with your finish temp.

Personally I think Smitty hit the nail on the head.

With how you framed your response, it would be much more useful to the OP if you included your cooking temp along with your finish temp.

Personally I think Smitty hit the nail on the head.

250+ cooking temp.

The problem with paying attention to temp when you are new is it creates expectation. Then when things dont go as expected the new pit master panics and pulls it off early.

The problem with paying attention to temp when you are new is it creates expectation. Then when things dont go as expected the new pit master panics and pulls it off early.

This is true, but just as potentially misleading expecations as temps are to new people, so are "cook till probe tender.......nuff said" type comments. Which is why I always say temp is just a guide (a very useful guide). "Probe tender" with zero other information (which is still very common around here) for new folks is about as zero a guide as their is with no idea for the new pit master as to how long it could take.

I still think most people just regurgitate the phrase "probe tender" because that is what they read when they first started out and they like how that phrase sounds........with little context or helpful information as to what that actually feels like or other signs that are associated with it.

I still think most people just regurgitate the phrase "probe tender" because that is what they read when they first started out and they like how that phrase sounds........with little context or helpful information as to what that actually feels like or other signs that are associated with it.

I still think most people just regurgitate the phrase "probe tender" because the benchmark has been around so long they're tired of typing "until it's probe tender - that is when a toothpick is inserted into the thickest part of the flat if feels like it's going into warm butter". It ranks right up there with a ton of other acronyms, abbreviations and other buzzwords tossed around over an extended period of time.

With that said, the OP or noobie could always ask "What do you mean by probe tender?" and they'd likely get a good solid response.

I still think most people just regurgitate the phrase "probe tender" because the benchmark has been around so long they're tired of typing "until it's probe tender - that is when a toothpick is inserted into the thickest part of the flat if feels like it's going into warm butter". It ranks right up there with a ton of other acronyms, abbreviations and other buzzwords tossed around over an extended period of time.

With that said, the OP or noobie could always ask "What do you mean by probe tender?" and they'd likely get a good solid response.

Yeah totally. And since I'm one of those people that didn't like the regurgitation I made this video to actually show and describe what im feeling. Might not be helpful to all. Thanks for the reminder tx.

[ame]https://youtu.be/t9UILZf0obk[/ame]

Great video... I hadn't seen that one before. The "avocado" reference was very helpful as my flats never get as "buttery" as the point.

I confess I chuckled when you grabbed that temp probe with bare hands - - - glad I'm not the only one that does that on occasion. :mrgreen:

Back