Drum or Offset Ribs

dietmar239

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Just curious what everyone's preference is for cooking ribs - whether you prefer drum or traditional offset.

I have both and enjoy both, depending on my mood.

I think you answered your own question perfectly. All depends on my mood, and maybe how many I'm cooking for. Never had a bad one and can't pick a favorite. Actually, I'm in an "over them" mood right now, haven't made them in quite a long time. How you cook and enjoy them today is the best way, and tomorrow will probably be different. Part of what makes this great blue marble spin. No matter how you cook 'em, enjoy 'em!!

I'm sold on the drum. but I'm torn between flat on the grate, or hung.

deelK7k.jpg

after I figured out my offset i'll never go back to a small vertical like my WSM. need to sell that thing really.

Last few racks I have done on my direct heat cooker - really like the flavor. Need to do a rack or two soon on my offset

Kind of strange. I am never disappointed in my drum ribs. PBC first now an Oklahoma Joe's Bronco. Both produce excellent ribs. However when I cook ribs with my offset (Oklahoma Joe's Highland) I feel more involved and when they hit the mark there is a feel good sensation that hits right.

As for burning tips, it's happened but not often. Let your coals settle before hanging and or trim and hang the trimmings. Mostly I buy really small racks. 2.5 and down backs and 3.5 and down spares. I haven't bought giant racks in several years.

As well, you can adjust the coal bed, heat will slide in and up any void you make

Last edited:
Back