Select Beef

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, I'm spoiled, let's just start with that.
I have a Select grade beef loin - bone in - so little to no marbling. What's the best way to cook it - can't let it go to waste, but don't want to be gnawing on shoe leather either.
Thanks!

I think I would at least try one steak, just to see what quality you might have, sometimes with select you get a surprise.

I guess if you're not satisfied at that point, smoke it up for chili, or turn it into stew meat. You could slice it into steaks, tenderize/pound them and make some chicken fried steaks out of some of it.

KC

hard to beat a nice reverse sear to medium rare to make sure the meat stays nice and tender.

You could violate all the rules and cook it slow in a crockpot with veggies, good stuff.

If slicing to steaks put kosher salt it for 1 hour per inch- about 1 tsp per steak- it will make it more tender- see Ron_L's post on this

I bet you'd change your mind about that meat if ya had a sous vide setup.

But, if that's not an option then the combo of salting and reverse sear mentioned above is the way to go. I like the challenge presented with meats that are less than premium.

I am a huge fan of the reverse sear, and have used the salt trick in the past with choice steaks. I'm not sold on the sous vide thing yet... just me being stubborn.

Any other thoughts?

I think the remake of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was terrible.

I know it doesn't have anything to do with cooking that piece of meat, but it is still a thought!

Been a fan of the reverse sear... however found this at the dollar store. :shocked::shocked::shocked:

20150319_110325_zpssxrg1q38.jpg

Some good ideas, I'll add one more. Cook like you would prime rib until rare. Cool and slice very thin, reheat briefly in a good au jus for french dip sandwiches. The flavor will be good and the thin slicing will give you the tenderness. Freeze the remainder for a quick steak fix.

One possibility might be to inject.....this is a select rib roast done up with Tony C's creole butter....squirt-the-person-next-to-you juicy........

111010.jpg

Works for P. tenderloins, etc.

PostWestCoastMeet031.jpg

The logic is, if it ain't got fat, add something .............

Some good ideas, I'll add one more. Cook like you would prime rib until rare. Cool and slice very thin, reheat briefly in a good au jus for french dip sandwiches. The flavor will be good and the thin slicing will give you the tenderness. Freeze the remainder for a quick steak fix.

This is a good idea.

I take that the loin is the loin is the same as a ny strip. They make great roast beef, some of the best (other than the holy grail that is the rib)

Im not the biggest fan of ny strip steaks but as a roast id put it above round and sirloin (well except tri tip)

I cook a lot of wild game which is usually very lean. I have also had a few select grade beef quarters. I have found hot and fast to work well. I like to sear and then cook indirect to temp. I like to put a light coat of olive oil on 8-10 inch "mini roasts" lengths of the loin, add fresh cracked pepper and sea salt, and quickly sear. Then I go indirect until 125-130 internal and rest for ten minutes before slicing.

Back