First fatty, new grill, and experiments with wings!

TxQGuy

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Good morning y’all! I got the chance to fire up Long Tall Sally for her first grill session late yesterday afternoon. :clap2: It was brought to my attention last week that is it traditional for us Brethren to cook a fatty for the first cook on a new pit. This being the first new grill purchased since I officially joined this site last spring…I was obliged to comply with tradition of course. I also did some experimenting with chicken wings! Two frequently mentioned brines/marinades around these parts include buttermilk and pickle juice, so I wanted to try those out for the first time. I also decided to add some corn starch to my rub to try and get some extra crispiness. Like always, I thought I would share pics of it all with you fine folks.

The separated wings were soaked in a mixture of buttermilk, Crystal hot sauce, kosher salt, and black pepper overnight. The four whole wings, as if their neon green color didn’t give it away, were soaked in pickle juice overnight. All of them were rubbed with a combination of Fiesta Brand Chicken Rub, SuckleBuster’s Clucker Dust, Paprika, and Corn Starch.

Lq423Kih.jpg

Here we have my inaugural fatty! Sprinkled with just a bit of SuckleBuster’s Hoochie Mama.

gMV3NMth.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Pitmaster’s treat! :cool:

bXNKmzWh.jpg

Vortex is going, and we are off!

wro6Kxoh.jpg

Wings have been on for about 20 minutes at this point.

3lQ7NrJh.jpg

Wings are done!

PjOXuRFh.jpg

Let’s crisp up the outside of that fatty a bit!

XrRYqCsh.jpg

Man oh man…y’all were right about these suckers. That is good eating! My little boy absolutely CRUSHED his, declaring it to be the best thing ever.

ABB1wvCh.jpg

While she avoided consuming it for purposes of eating healthy (wish I could find an argument to support the health benefits of a fatty)…my wife did suggest that the awesomeness could be increased by grilling individual slices over high heat, so that is what I did and MAN was she right. Hit them with a little more Hoochie Mama on either side when turning them. My son kept popping his head out of the screen door yelling “Dad! Is the fatty done yet?”

c1Y68POh.jpg

Final thoughts:

- Pickle juice wings: These DEFINITELY tasted and smelled like pickles! A bit salty with the rub, since they seemed to have retained a ton of salt just from the brine alone. I did notice a big difference in regard to the tenderness of the meat, though.

- Buttermilk wings: I didn’t notice much difference in flavor, and maybe a little bit of extra tenderness, but nothing too significant.

- Corn starch: This definitely added some nice crispiness to the chicken skin. Without it, I would have had to go super hot direct to try and approach that level of crispness, which would risk drying out the wings. Definitely a keeper. But MAN, this stuff does not mix well in a rub, and it is hard to get it to stick to the wings. Worth it though.

- Fatty: Such a simple, delicious, and cheap addition to a cook. I bet it would be even better in the offset! Would like to get a smoke ring on it just for visual appeal. This one is a keeper, thanks Brethren!

Thanks for looking! :thumb:

Congrats on the new cooker! Looks like you nailed the first cook. It all looks awesome!

Can't say I've ever done wings or any chicken in buttermilk that I was going to grill. I've only used that method for frying. Fatties seem so simple, but can be oh so good!

wings look on time my friend, and love the idea of slicing the fatty hitting with more rub and high heat grilling it

It all looks great! Congratulations on the new cooker!

Great way to break in the new rig!

Love the experimentation goin' down over there.

Congratulations on the new cooker and excellent inaugural cook!

Fry some slices of fatty in a skillet, add some eggs, bacon etc for a killer breakfast.

Ahhh, That first cook is great!
Those wings are perfect and man, that fatty looks like it does have a nice smoke ring. I like the ideas with the slices and will try it soon.
I too have a problem mixing the corn starch with the rub, so dusted them lightly first and then applied rub. Seemed to work well. crunchy skin and it did not take away from the rub flavor.

Back