THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqjax

Found some matches.
I just purchased a lang 36 patio from craigslist got a pretty good deal on it. I was sanding it down because it was rusted and notice about 2 inches above the firebox on the cooking chamber there is a weld run straight across. You can see it when sanded down and feel it from the inside. I was wondering if its built like that or if someone I got it from did a patch job. Any inputs from someone who has one?

So you are saying there is a weld line where I have drawn the line in this photo?

That is a lang 36 pictured. Mine does not have a weld in that location.

Even if it is a patch it probably won't have any negative effect on the cooking.
You can always send a pic to Ben in Nahunta and ask his opinion.

Could be where the reverse flow plate or angle iron to hold the grate was welded inside unit.That's what it looks like to me from here. If it is a patch,if the workmanship is good it want matter.

That's the beautiful thing about steel, it won't matter even if it WAS patched. Won't affect function unless they warped the hell out of it, which I assume you would have noticed right away.

I'm going to try to post a pic now, its from the inside you can see where the two halves meet about an inch or so from the reverse flow plate. thanks for all the replies!

Attachments

• IMG_0180.jpg
    IMG_0180.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
That is where the plate was spliced together.. It looks like the inside was not back welded... But I personally see no reason for concern.. I would smoke away... If it bothers you get someone to burn a couple 7018 or 5p across that horizontally and be done... Be kinda hard to do with a mig since the area I impregnated with crud..... I say your aight as is....

Thanks for the input I appreciate it , I was just curious if someone patched it but looks like design. Now I am just waiting for a chance to fire it up this weekend and cook!

That is where the plate was spliced together.. It looks like the inside was not back welded... But I personally see no reason for concern.. I would smoke away... If it bothers you get someone to burn a couple 7018 or 5p across that horizontally and be done... Be kinda hard to do with a mig since the area I impregnated with crud..... I say your aight as is....

This guy definitely knows what he is talking about when it comes to fabricating.

Just sayin.

Back